OW Lounge Access Policy Clarified for Entry based on Class of Service

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Dec 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Slightly OT but related to AA mileage redeemers or AA GLD/PLTs without J/F lounge access.....

This has made the rounds on TOBB and TB, but for those on MP who might need to know: LINK.

Looks like OW has clarified the language on lounge access for those flying on F and J tickets but without any significant OW status: no access to OW lounges other than your carrier's or carrier's designated lounge. See below with emphasis added:

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class travellers

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with a oneworld member airline.

When you fly First or Business Class with a oneworld member airline, you are free to enjoy that airline’s First or Business Class lounge (depending on which class you are flying) before departure, regardless of your frequent flyer tier status.

This lounge access also applies when you connect from a domestic or intra-European segment to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight.

You can also invite one guest to join you in the lounge, provided he or she is departing on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld member airline.

alohastephen likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this "clarification" is intrepreted verbatim then there are going be some unhappy AA members who frequent other OW lounges at various airports like the CX or JAL lounges at LHR rather than subject themselves to the "crappy FL or AC" as they are wont to inform all who care to listen :)

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Since this only applies to those AA members who do not have lounge access based on status, I think it'll be a fairly limited pool of complainers. But, there are always those who like to be very vocal about their anger. :D

4. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if one flies inbound to LHR in AA F, do we still have access to the BA F lounge at LHR prior to a connecting European flight?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's a bit convoluted, but here's my thought process.

If you are OW Emerald: You can access any OW lounge.

If you have no OW status and are accessing based on being a F passenger: You will have lounge access to AA's lounges and any other lounge AA says is accessible to you as an F class passenger. What you cannot do is "lounge hop" into the CX/BA lounges.

6. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm OW Sapphire and have accessed BA F lounge when inbound on AA First and connecting to Club Europe. I'm not sure what it means to "lounge hop," but curious if the change of language in the rules changes this situation.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You will probably use whatever lounge AA and BA agree to provide you access to as a connecting passenger in T5. Whether that's F or J I don't know.

Now, if you are connecting in T3, I suspect you'll be limited to the AA AC/FL. The new wording seems to bar you from accessing the BA and CX lounges in T3 since your carrier (AA) has a lounge in your terminal.

Lounge hopping or lounge shopping is the tendency of elites or F/J passengers to "hop" or "shop" around lounges in a terminal to see which one they like best. So someone in T3 at London Heathrow can go to the BA lounge for 30 min, hop over to the CX lounge for another 30 min, and finish up at the AA lounge before getting on their flight.

This clarified policy seems to restrict lounge hopping in most cases for paying F/J passengers. It's still an option for OW elites though.

ceieoc likes this.
  8. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand I'd use the lounge AA and BA agree to provide access to...that's what I'm asking.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you understand that, why are you asking? :confused:

Or are you asking WHICH lounge AA and BA have agreed to provide you access to?

10. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you read my original question?

"do we still have access to the BA F lounge at LHR prior to a connecting European flight?"

I think it's clear I'm asking WHICH lounge and it's clear you don't know, so let's move on.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think it's clear that this answer changes depending on how someone is traveling (COS, OW Status, terminal, connecting vs departing, etc) so one cannot just say "Yes" or "No". And yes, with the new wording there is some ambiguity regarding how the OW carriers will apply this for their COS customers without status in areas without a carrier lounge, though I'd imagine things won't change much. I dont think your question was that clear considering it asks about access, not location. Access changes depending on the variables above. Location has some caveats depending, again, on those variables.

But yes, let's move on. ;)

12. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    From a marketing standpoint, I would welcome elite status travelers into my lounge. If the elite traveler enjoyed an airline lounge offering, they might be inclined to switch to the airline offering the superior lounges. If you offer an excellent product to the elite traveler, I would want everyone to know about it.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Elite status travelers are still welcome to lounge hop, it's award ticket/revenue F/J passengers who will run into some issues going forward.

14. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for correcting me, DestinationDavid. Instead of elite status travelers, I should have said "all travelers". If my airline is offering a wonderful product such as a really upscale lounge, I would want everyone to experience it at least once for free. A flyer paying a premium price for a ticket such as in business or first class would be my targeted customer.