OW F award itinerary: legal? how many miles?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by TheBeerHunter, Mar 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

before I call AA to attempt to book this, I wanted to find out whether I've got things straight.

I'm looking at booking an itinerary that is as follows:

JFK - LHR (12 hour stopover) - SIN (36+ hour stop over) - HKG (8 hour stopover) - LAX

Am I correct that on an award ticket, this is less than 20K miles, so it would be 180K miles for F?

Would the correct ticket to ask for be a RTW oneworld award?

I have verified that flights/inventory exist for what I want, so I plan to spoon feed it to the rep, but wanted to be sure I was calculating things correctly first.

Any help is appreciated!

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Looks fine to me. Seems sad to use a OW award and only really stop in one location for any sizeable time, though! You don't need to specific that it's a "RTW" ticket, because it isn't. Just say you want to book a OW award and you should be fine.

I'm assuming JFK-LHR on AA, LHR-SIN on QF, and SIN-HKG-LAX on CX?

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LOL "sad" is all in your perspective I guess. "Sad", to me, is sitting on millions of miles and not using them at all ;)They sure aren't getting more valuable. And, for me, this is really one of those trips where the journey is what it is all about. I wish I could take more time off, but alas...

JFK-LHR on BA, but otherwise, correct. LHR-SIN on the A380.

4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I heart Award Nexus and EF. Between the two, I had 100% accuracy on the availability/flights on the dates I want. The rep laughed when I thanked her for her help, and then she thanked ME for being prepared with all the details.:D

NYBanker and cwpfly like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I know what you mean, I've often thought about using miles for a nice trip in J or F essentially JUST to enjoy the flights and service. :)

I'm actually currently pushing on spending a pile of miles myself. I've got 300K in the bank and have travel booked that will put me at 400K by the end of the year. I figured it's time to spend a bit. Looking at OW awards myself.

I assumed AA because I'm so used to avoiding BA's YQ. I think I'll be paying it soon enough though since I really want to get to DAR.

6. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is nothing like making it easy for them - and you!

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad this came together. Any purpose of the trip - or just to ride in F?

8. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The whole trip revolves around flying F on the A380 for the first time. I saw a pair of seats pop up searching random dates on EF a few weeks ago and have been watching them, trying to figure out a) how to get to/from LHR and SIN to do the trip, and b) how I could possibly take the time off work with some big projects on my plate about to go live, but as luck would have it, F availability opened up on both sides of the trip, AND a project that was keeping me from being able to do this "for sure" just got pushed out month. And, although he thinks we're a bit nuts to do it, my husband agreed to go along for the ride (what a gentleman, huh?) All the stars aligned, basically. :D

Flying Bat, wrxmom and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  9. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a busy schedule so i know what you mean. I would do the same thing if I were in your shoes. Have fun!!!