Overzealous Citi CSR?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Singapore Flyer, Mar 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got off the phone with a Citi rep for my parents to cancel a couple of their credit cards and combine the CL with their other Citicards, but before I even made it to retention and after she put me on hold, she came back and said that due to new federal guidelines they are not able to transfer credit lines between cards. I don't know if it is because she was trying to stop any potential cancellation/consolidation of credit or did what she said have any merit? I mentioned to her that I just performed this recently and she said it was pretty recent legislation, which gives me pause, but would love to hear from the community if anyone else has heard of this...

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never heard that before, I'd want to know exactly what rule or law it was. Here's all the relevant recent changes, fwiw. A quick glance at the documents didn't show anything relevant, but there are a lot of pages to read.

I do know that most lenders won't allow such combinations to occur during promo periods.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    It wasn't for me, so I didn't stay on the phone to start questioning her especially since they didn't want to talk to me anymore since it went to retention.

4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just like with everything else here: hang up and call tomorrow at a different time!

traveler and perryplatypus like this.
  5. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I would do.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. andy12

andy12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had any success combining credit lines with Citi (they always use the excuse that it is because of the new law - but as noted, haven't been able to find any evidence of that). The only success I've heard about was on a one-off basis and is usually when someone is applying for a new card and gets denied because they have too much credit with CIti - they can usually do a one time credit limit move.

7. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it was indeed a law, Chase would be in violation since most of the time they would let you consolidate CL. I'd say either the CSR told a lie or it is a policy of Citi.

LETTERBOY and Singapore Flyer like this.
  8. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just called to cancel my AA Citi card, with the hopes of a CL consolidation onto my AA Citi Amex. No can do said the rep. Thanked her, hung up, called back the next day. Different rep, same answer, no can do. Chase makes it sooooooooo easy to combine CLs.

9. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    It seems like this is not an "isolated" situation within citi but a practice. My take just tell me that and not quote some bogus line about a new federal law. We canceled 3 AA cards and it was the same thing. I thought about hanging up but it wasn't for me and parents didn't care. However they did offer a credit to cover the annual fee and a $50 GC. Still said no. They we're quite aggressive about it. Wouldn't let me speak to them. Had to speak to my folks which just made it that much more painful for everyone. Silly rabbit.

10. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    If that is the case then I am going to burn another pull for a citi card (hope for a pseudo deny with too much credit and horse trade) to get my CL from my premier that will be coming up. Don't want to pay that fee.

11. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Similar problem but asked for supervisor. Supervisor said she could APPLY for a credit transfer but it would be a pull on my credit report. I could call back or check online in a few days to see if it went through. Also had to keep a $ minimum on the card I was transferring from. Decided to go ahead with the application and it was approved for the credit transfer.

12. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been hearing about this "law" for a while, but never found any confirmation that it's truly a law; it just seems to be Citi's practice.

In fact, I have moved around credit lines with Amex recently. So if it were truly a legal issue, Amex, at least, has figured out a way around it.

I've had SOOOO many problems with Citi for years now that even with their generous points giveaways, I might have to stop entirely.

Singapore Flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. bearcat74

bearcat74 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Citi certainly seems prone to making things difficult for customers if this is how they are going to go with this along with the 1099 fiasco.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - that's costing me plenty. No more Citi bank accounts, that's for sure.

15. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My wife doesn't like to talk to reconsideration lines and they will not talk to me. So I have learned to just have my wife come on the phone and tell them to talk to me. Last time, with Chase, they told her that the "authorization" was good for 24 hours.

16. sriracha

sriracha Silver Member

Status Points:
    there most likely are new stipulations on credit reallocation since the US Congress been busy slapping restrictions on any type of credit products retail/commercial/investment banks offer. in theory, credit products are underwritten based on the portfolio risk, interest rate exposure, cash flow coverage etc. swapping credit lines around generates some volatility in a portfolio though the consumer will never see it.

while most of us might not be AT&T raising $40B in debt, switching from a plane jane credit card to one with extra liabilities (such as airline miles) and a different APR should alter the risk amount. i'm going to guess that most bank's credit analysts get some discretionary power on reallocations as long as the risk doesn't move by x%.

i'll make another assumption that Citi can't get this luxury because they have quite a bit of issues left with the Fed regarding their loan/credit portfolios.

17. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just last week Chase reallocated the credit line of both my wife and myself.

Based on this, I need to assume that it is not law but Citi's practice.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If we're dumping on CITI, anyone know of a way to turn off the "convenience" checks they send? I'm so sick of them, and I feel the need to shred them, and I'll never use one. I don't know for sure, but I think they come more than once a week - all for one account.

LETTERBOY likes this.