Overweight luggage

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Dec 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is WN on slightly overweight luggage if one is only checking a single bag? I have a bag that is probably close to the limit, but don't want to bring two pieces.

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, I weigh all my luggage prior to travelling on any airline, most times using a portable hand-held scale available at most AAA stores. Many of the airlines (and especially WN) have weight scales that appear to weigh luggage at about 3-5 pounds more than they actually weigh. Most WN gate agents are aware of this, but simply shrug at the suggestion of the fact that their scales add a few more pounds to the actual weight. My suggestion is that if you're legitimately worried about the weight of a single bag, add bag #2 to your outbound flight. Find a collapsible bag that can be placed inside of your other bag for the return trip, and you'll at least only have one bag for that leg of your journey.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? Because scales used by the airlines are typically regulated by state government authorities. And if they are consistently off in the measurements there would be a lot of news about it as they are penalized for breaking the law.

HaveMilesWillTravel and Mapsmith like this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Arizona has shut down the scales at both PHX and TUS for being out of whack. Usually takes about a week for them to get them recalibrated. During that time, the airlines are not allowed to charge pax for overweight because there are no certified scales legal at the airports.

Newscience likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Back to my original question, does anyone have any experience here with the original question? The options re: a second bag as well as issues regarding the veracity of the scales are both (1) known to me, and (2) not anything I care about with respect to the question. Mmmkay? Thanks!

Newscience likes this.
  6. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why do you want to push the limit, just take a fold up bag in a backpack, if needed take it out?

7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love this board and Flyertalk. Everyone always has an answer, even if it's not to the question asked. :D

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've heard the story out of Arizona once or twice. But not all the time as was suggested.

Mapsmith and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I want to push the limit, maybe I don't. But most importantly, maybe I just want to know how strict the 50lb limit is. Maybe I even have a fold-out bag ready to go, and maybe I had arranged the stuff to take out easily and put it in said bag, which may or may not exist. Or maybe I don't.

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The post-script:

There are two of us (so we could have had 4 bags, but that would be unwieldy, even 3 bags, given some of the South American taxis. One bag was 50.0 on the dot, the other was 47.5. They both felt about the same when picking them up. Had I put a folding bag in the 50.0 bag, it would have exceeded 50.0 and would have required some possible airport adjustment. The SFO scale was likely quite accurate, as @ LAX, the LAN scale registered 22.8kg for the same bag. I figured we'd have a bit of wiggle room between the two bags, which we did not need. The PITA was a 2 bottle wine shipper inside one bag.

So, the luggage and scale gods were shining kindly upon us today, and once again, I cannot thank you all enough for all of the insight as to whether or not WN has a little wiggle room in the 50lb baggage allowance. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Official policy is no "wiggle room" over 50#. Anything you get on that front is at the discretion of the agent.

Boraxo likes this.
  12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    So this was all about not wanting to take a 3rd bag when you could have taken 4, but only took 2? :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that "wiggle room" (exceeding an allowed weight limit by even a fraction of a pound/kilogram) on any airline is up to the agent doing the bag checking. As a frequent flyer, I always try very hard not to rely on the good graces of any airline agent. And frequently double- and triple-check the weight of my bags to ensure that they weigh a few pounds less than the total allowable weight limit, just in case.

13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And now we know.......the rest of the story. :D

dh

Newscience likes this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely!

But, let's face it, a "wine shipper" only weighs a few ounces! ;)

dhammer53 likes this.
  15. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I did not mean all the time. Both TUS and PHX have been shut down for not having certified scales for short periods. I know that TUS was shut down twice, and PHX three times I think. Each time the scales were out for a week, and no excess charges could be levied by the airlines. Arizona does require that all scales be certified each year in a random inspection. This includes the ones at the airport and even the ones used by the gem sellers at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show. If it is not certified it cannot be legally used.

Newscience likes this.
  16. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I traveled with a friend that checked a bag LAX-OAK and from LAX there was no charge, but going back from OAK it was 'overweight' and she had to pay $75. The contents were the same, maybe less because we used some of the shampoos, etc. (wine was shipped home from vineyards or we drank it during our stay :D)

Newscience likes this.
  17. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, that has been my experience. When my bag weighed in at 52 lbs, the counter agent asked me to remove a couple of items but then did not reweigh.

IME the redcaps are wiling to cut you a little slack, as they know a goodwill gesture will usually result in better tips :)

Newscience likes this.