Overwater Bungalows on Points....??

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by misterbwong, Aug 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    So my goal is to secure an overwater bungalow using points (and maybe some cash) in the next year or two. What points program can get me into one of these? I know that SPG has some like this but considering the ridiculously high points cost of the top tier redemptions, I'm ruling them out.

I'm pretty ignorant on all hotel chains except for SPG so any help would be appreciated. :D

pcarol and Mikus33 like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    misterbwong likes this.
  3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't say where in the world you want them, but...

Conrad Rangali Island (Maldives) offers a standard (landside) room for 50,000 points (or $2500 a night if you book in high season), but will work with you on a part-cash upgrade to an overwater bungalow.

This is, so far as I know, the most expensive Hilton property in the world, though, and other costs there are horrific (including transit to the hotel), so if you don't blanch at some of the other prices, the co-pay won't scare you.

Otherwise, you might prefer Bora Bora, which is cheap by comparison. :)

Or, you could do what hubby and I are doing: sucking it up so we can go eat underwater every night:

[​IMG]

4. Sloweddy00

Sloweddy00 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very nice Desamo, jealous here!

misterbwong likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    i wonder how many points it would cost to sleep down here. I saw that they offer that ... with the right amount of $$$$$

misterbwong likes this.
  6. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where is this?

misterbwong likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's one of those "if you have to ask" kind of prices, I'm afraid.

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island.

Note that it requires a seaplane or speedboat xfer in the $400-500 pp range in addition to all the other costs.

Like I said, it makes Bora Bora seem cheap, but since we were going to Japan and Burma anyways, it's only a few thousand miles out of the way. :D

PointHoarder, misterbwong and edekba like this.
  8. tunes

tunes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did this in March in both the Hilton Moorea and Bora Bora. I booked a room on points (luckily for me it was a cat 5 hotel at the time, now its a cat 7) using the GLON rate so 4 nights at each property. I just booked a standard room, then emailed the hotel managers and upgraded to an OWB. I upgraded to the panoramic at Moorea for i want to say around $125 a night and to the royal OWB at Bora Bora for around $170 a night. It was totally worth it to me as it was an anniversary trip. Others were able to negotiate better deals but I was happy with what I got. I looked through my emails but somehow i deleted them, but i still have the applicable email addresses. I'd highly recommend it as it was an amazing trip. I'd also suggest having at least Gold status at Hilton if you stay there because the free breakfast for two saves about $80 a day.

pcarol, desamo and misterbwong like this.
  9. tunes

tunes Silver Member

Status Points:
    is that the under water resort in fiji? I looked into that after bora bora but i think it was something like 10k for 7 nights when i looked.

misterbwong likes this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it's in the Maldives.

misterbwong likes this.
  11. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are two Hilton properties in the Maldives-- the Conrad (that desamo shared above) and the Hilton Iru Fushi. They're both bookable with HHonors points, though the best deal at each of these properties seemed to be booking a basic room with points, and then they could offer you a special price to upgrade to overwater.

Other Maldives properties with overwater bungalows bookable with points include the Park Hyatt Maldives and the W Maldives.

Note that the redemption values are all over the map-- when I looked into this a few months ago, we found the Hilton resorts to be a decent value, but the W was insanely expensive. So definitely sniff around... there are also surprisingly affordable resorts that may end up being worth just paying for instead of redeeming points.

pcarol, desamo and misterbwong like this.
  12. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.. I was just in Bora Bora five months ago and it was the most beautiful place I've seen so far. Maldives will be my next target maybe 5 or 10 years anniversary. I'm gonna save all my Hilton points for this place one day. Hehe..

misterbwong likes this.
  13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've booked the hotel for next January using my HHonors points (when the posted rate is $2500/night). When will they contact me about transfers from MLE airport? Or do I need to contact them? And how much is the overwater upgrade?

misterbwong likes this.
  14. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great tip about the seaplane/speedboat!

Wow. These are some amazing properties. Paying for an OWB seems like a worthy alternative as well. I had no idea that they could be that much more affordable.

15. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton Bora Bora and Moorea have overwater bungalows. The best strategy is to book the base room (perhaps 4 nights for 145K using an AXON award), and then email the hotels asking to pay to confirm an upgrade to an over-water bungalow in advance.

The rates vary based on your status, so you should aim for Gold status (either, umm, through a virtual move to Australia or via the Citi Hilton Reserve card). Not only will you get a lower upgrade rate, but your breakfast and internet will be free which is VERY expensive in Bora Bora and Moorea (and other places with overwater bungalows).

Another option is the InterContinental Thallaso in Bora Bora which is 50K Priority Club points or bookable using the free night certificates from the Priority Club credit card. That gets you in a Garden Villa, though over the years, I've read less than 3 reports from folks who didn't get upgraded to an overwater bungalow over there. Or you can confirm the upgrade for ~$150 per night. Or negotiate to pay for, say, 2 nights and hope they don't move you for the remaining nights.

You certainly don't have to pay thousands of dollars for an overwater bungalow if you plan well!

pcarol likes this.
  16. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need to contact the hotel and give them your flight plans into Male and they will make the seaplane arrangements. Cost is $485 per person. I have a room booked for late October. I was offered an upgrade to an overwater villa for $235 per night.

desamo likes this.
  17. tunes

tunes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you know how to post videos to facebook? :D

Mikus33 likes this.
  18. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure I can figure it out. Why do you ask?

19. tunes

tunes Silver Member

Status Points:
    ahh disregard, i was just trying to make a joke based on the ATT 4G commercials...

Mikus33 likes this.
  20. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just remember to do it before it goes underwater for good. (The tallest point in the Maldives is less than 8 feet above sea level.)

merice107 likes this.
  21. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a stay reserved on points at the Conrad Maldives for next May. Very excited for this but it's so far away!

desamo likes this.
  22. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I booked the Park Hyatt Maldives on points and then confirmed upgrade from the base villa for $350. (A pool villa upgrade would have been $200)

desamo likes this.
  23. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something I love about this site is threads such as this. It gets my creative juices going and has inspired me to detour via Tahiti on our next flight to Oz after going to Hawaii. Now I just have to work out how to get from Tahiti back to Sydney.

24. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Via AKL on TN?

25. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just checked on United and I can redeem 25k points to go business class on Air New Zealand via Auckland. Time for a chat with hubby to get him onboard to get this done.

Flyer1976 and desamo like this.