Overwater Bungalows at Bora Bora and Maldives

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by thethinwhiteduke, Jan 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    so, i am working on planning our honeymoon and my better half has seemingly narrowed it down to the the Sheraton Full Moon Resort and Le Meridien Maldives as she likes the isolation of an over water bungalow.

what are my options for getting these rooms?

1) i can obviously just book the room i want...

2) use points for a room - probably quite high, does anyone know about how much? the buy 4, get 5th night free could help though

3) book a room and use points to upgrade - this may be a middle ground, is this possible? if so, what are points like? is there any option like the buy 4, get 5th night free with upgrades?

4) book a room and apply for Suite Night Awards to upgrade - this sounds far too risky as almost none of my SNA requests have seemed to work

thoughts on the options? other options i havent thought of?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would probably do #1 if I had the cash or do #2...

The hotels in the French Polynesia show as Cat 6-7 so that's a lot of SPG Points on a per night basis.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    If budget is a concern, IMO Maldives is cheaper than Bora Bora by a huge portion - depending on where you're staying.

I'd do #1 too if I had the cash, less complicated as well.

Cat 6-7 ranges from 60K to 140K starpoints, quite a bit if you ask me.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the thoughts...is #3 an option or should i just bite the bullet and pay the full cash?

Maldives does seem cheaper but the future mrs. seems to prefer Bora Bora

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

Status Points:
    anyone know what hours the transportation from MLE to the airport runs?

Sammich likes this.
  6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you schedule a transfer with the hotel?

Sheraton runs their hotel speedboat at counter 28. But they require advance scheduling.

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    If Bora Bora you'll fly into Papeete (PPT) which is on the big island of Tahiti. You don't want to stay here, at least not for any length of time. Bora Bora is a different island. You'll probably take a boat arranged by your hotel to get there. Generally something pretty nice. You're paying a lot and they'll treat you well.

You definitely want to experience an overwater bungalow at some point in your life if you can afford it. I'm a big fan of Tahiti and Bora Bora in particular but its c-r-a-z-y expensive. Read up on some of Million Mile Secrets posts on his trip. If you have status with the hotel the free breakfast and lounge access could be a big deal. Meals and drinks can be very expensive, though there are options to save some money of course. Almost any restaurant on the island will send a car to your hotel to pick you up and take you to the restaurant for a dinner, so you don't have to stay at the hotel to eat.

You can pay for a basic room with points and then hope for an upgrade based on your status or your suite upgrades with SPG. I have no idea how successful this will be. We've had good luck with this in the past but that was years back at a different property. As I said, read Million Mile Secrets on the subject. You'll learn things.

8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have points with either Hilton or Hyatt, the Conrad Maldives and the Park Hyatt Maldives both have excellent reputations. We've stayed at the Conrad and loved it. Conrad offers seaplane transfers from about 7am to 6pm (they operate daylight hours). There is also an option to take a shuttle flight to a nearby island followed by a speedboat between around 6pm and 10pm, but if you are arriving after 6pm you might be better served by spending the night in Male, which is much cheaper, and then transferring the next morning. The Park Hyatt is outside the seaplane range, so all their transfers use a regional flight followed by a speedboat.

One big difference between the Maldives and Bora Bora is that in the Maldives each resort is on its own private island. The positive attributes of that are that the island is very clean and you won't see any signs of poverty. The negative is that your only food and beverage options are the resort itself. I believe at the Park Hyatt all the room rates include breakfast, and I'm pretty sure that the Conrad offers room rates that includes breakfast, or if you are HH Gold or Diamond, you automatically get breakfast. And for breakfast, think brunch. At Conrad runs until 11am and includes things like sushi, grilled fish, curries, various Asian warm dishes, salads, as well as more traditional breakfast foods.

We like the Maldives, though it's a long trip. It's probably not any harder to find award flights than PPT.

Zomby Woof likes this.
  9. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

Status Points:
    thanks for all the info...so if we do Park Hyatt Maldives, transportation from MLE is a regional flight and then a speedboat? does that run certain hours? and is there an additional fee?

10. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://maldives.hadahaa.park.hyatt....p-and-directions.html?icamp=propMapDirections

11. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone been to The Conrad and the Park Hyatt in the Maldives? Or know enough about both to determine which might be better for an overwater villa assuming points/cash are are not a problem? I am trying to plan a trip and debating which to stay at. Won't be for about a year so I have time to plan. Should be Hilton Gold and Hyatt Diamond at the time of the trip.

12. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better is a personal preference so a little hard to respond to:

Park Hyatt Maldives is smaller/more intimate then Conrad. It's got great PH style service. Hyatt's overwater requires a cash copay of $350++ night if booking a points reservation. Transfer requires a commercial plane flight and then boat so it's time consuming.

Conrad has the underwater dining room (which is around $500 for lunch for 2) but one of a kind. It's nice to be HH diamond there fwiw.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    TUMD likes this.