Discussion in 'Newbies' started by vspero, Jan 15, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. vspero

vspero New Member

Hi all. Looks like most of you are traveling a lot. What is one thing you have noticed about the cost of airfare? As I look at flying to places I want to go I notice that it is very expensive. OK what do we know is the main cost to an airline? Fuel of course is a biggy. How much is fuel down lately? WHY HAS NOT FARE PRICES GONE DOWN$? WE ALL NEED TO START DEMANDING LOWER PRICES EVERYTIME WE CALL OR BOOK A FLIGHT ONLINE. Any suggestions?
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Any suggestions indeed. I just looked for fares and yelled at Kayak on my iPad but nothing happened.

Hint: fares aren't a function of the price of oil.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

I just got back from a weekend to DC from Seattle where I paid less than $250, and got upgraded to first class on both ends as a pretty junior elite (there were open first class seats after I was upgraded). Similar fares are available to me right now to a number of East Coast locations like New York.

Maybe you're picking the wrong places and times to want to go? Supply and demand is actually a real thing, you know. If you're choosing to travel to Hawaii at a peak travel time when many other people want to go, for instance, the airline doesn't have much incentive to cut prices.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Just returned from a not so-long weekend in Greece. @ 600.00 usd for airfare and a return of @10,500 PQM's.
    I'll say that SKG was not my first choice for a getaway weekend but I had not been there before and for those dollars nothing else looked as good.
    A good place to start looking is the 'Daily Deals' column on the right side.
    (cheep unpaid shill):D
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

I am always looking for lower fares,

As the price of gas declines,,so does the stock market, even the airlines are declining.

The price of gas is just a small item, in air travel. i suspect the cost of buying and maintaining the system is pale in comparison to a gallon of jet fuel.

It does cost less at the pump, but the old truck, got a $1200.00 brake job the other days, on the CC.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016