Overnight Layover. Where to go in the airport?

Discussion in 'SIN | Singapore Changi Airport' started by merice107, Sep 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So my wife and I will be flying through Singapore on our way to the Maldives in June. We will be getting to Changi on SQ 11 at 2:55 am (suites class) and leaving Changi on SQ 462 at 10:05 am (business class). This is our first time flying anything other than coach and first time in Asia. We do not have any status.

My question is, where would you all recommend we go for a lounge from 3am"ish" to 10am"ish"? Even though we are leaving Changi in business class, since we came in on suites class can we go to a SQ first class lounge?

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spending hours in a lounge especially in the AM is not that much fun (for me). My worst airport experience in recent memory was arriving at CDG in Business at around 6:30 am and spending four or five hours in the lounge before a connection to IST. It’s hard to kill time effectively when you are dead tiered.

I'd spend your time finding where best to nap, be it a pay service or a quite area in either terminal or lounge. Then get breakfast at the best lounge available. Here are some ideas: http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgences/rest-areas

This looks like a good option, giving you maybe 5 hours for napping then a very quick snack before you enjoy breakfast on the plane:
    Rates for Transit Hotel At Terminals 1 and 2 Single Occupancy Budget Room Rate
    $41.20 (6 hours block charge)
    Advance reservation of 2 - 3 weeks is advisable / Walk-in (subject to availability)

Personally I think a sleep area would be better than the lounge.

Sweet Willie, merice107 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will have access to the SilverKris Lounges, which do have nice showers and quite good food and relaxation areas. if you want to sleep, the Ambassador Transit Hotels are in all three terminals also. SQ sometimes makes special arrangements for Suites class arriving customers also, so you might ask about that. i have never transitted in suites class, so i have no personal knowledge of that.

You should have a wonderful trip!

4. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I was there I just booked room for 6 hours (appx 60 eur) in Transit Hotel... nothing special though, but I had a nice peaceful rest... and room was, although basic, very very clean and I had privacy, that is not possible to get in a lounge... Have a great trip!!!!

iolaire, merice107 and jbcarioca like this.
  5. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! Thanks for the help everyone!

jbcarioca and mirohacek like this.
  6. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you choose Transit Hotel, you dont need to go thru immigration... but you need to book in advance... a dn a word of warning... although there is free wi-fi all over Changi, there is no signal in Transit Hotel.

iolaire and jbcarioca like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Budget rooms at the Transit Hotels seem to have facilities down the hall. Book a non budget room instead.

jbcarioca and mirohacek like this.
  8. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure at that point in the night, and after 7 hours of Dom, I will be asleep and not needing any wifi :)

mirohacek and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I am sure... but do not rent dorm rooms, they also have non-budget single and double rooms...

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe there is some noticable difference between Dom and dorm rooms. :)

Now color me perplexed.. the OP will fly in on Singapore F suites ( drinking Dom) and then wants to bed down (for free) in an airport lounge? :confused:

merice107 and jbcarioca like this.
  11. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lol. What do you recommend I do?

anileze and jbcarioca like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP might be traveling on award tickets.

For more money, one can exit through immigration and customs (assuming visa isn't needed) and go to the Crowne Plaza at the airport. It's nice but much more expensive and less convenient (unless you can't access airside until morning), overall IMO not worth it for a short night.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check the "sleeping in airports" website.

14. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct. Award tickets they are...

anileze, jbcarioca and mirohacek like this.
  15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must say, I do have some jealousy over your ability to disconnect. If it is a weekday I have an unhealthy compulsion to check in at work if possible in such situation.

16. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too... :mad:

jbcarioca and merice107 like this.
  17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could not agree more, pure hell no matter how nice the lounge, I'd rather pony up the paltry sum to get a room at the Transit Hotels inside SIN.

18. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Changi at 3AM ? And next flight is at 10AM ? You are unlikely to get more than 5 hour of shut-eye at best. More like 4-1/2 hours. Ambassador or Transit would not be a value for money. Use the the spa and then head to the lounge, if I were you.

Maldives in June ? That is monsoon season in the Indian-subcontinental area :(

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually given the biologic jet lag effect it is not al all clear that you will want to sleep, but I find it acceptable to use the Silver Kris lounge in term 3 - the business section has sofas in the back section and they will bring you blanket and pillows, not good if you are a large person (there are tables that keep the width constricted about every 4 feet). I've been able to get a few hours sleep there - albeit not as comfortable as a private room and for the two of you 60ish dollars for 6 hours at the transit hotel is not bad value (but do book ahead). There is also a really nice FREE movie theater with very comfortable seats next to the transit hotel - just another option.
    There is food and beverage available as well as showers if you wish. The first class section (as well as TPR which you will probably be allowed to use) closes from 1ish to 6?, and doesn't have places to lie down, but good to visit to eat and for a nicer environment when you arrive and before you leave. It's a 2 minute walk from one area to the other (bus to first the lounges are connected)

merice107 and jbcarioca like this.
  20. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and i are both teachers so monsoon season is the only season....

jbcarioca and iolaire like this.
  21. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. I wouldn't mind the couch for 4ish hours. But it will also depend on the wife. She will probably want to get a transit room. Probably will end up doing that. And then head over to the first class lounge to shower/clean up and then get some food before we leave on the Male flight.

jbcarioca and iolaire like this.