Overnight costs "due to weather"

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by volsfan, Feb 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure whether I should be posting on the AA site or this one, but here goes--any advice would be appreciated. I obtained a ticket through OnePass miles for my wife travelling from BHM to SIN. On the return trip, she flew ANA from SIN to Narita, and there the problems began. The United flight from Narita to Chicago was cancelled (no further explanation given), so they set her up with tickets to Seattle on United, then flew to DFW on Alaska Airlines. In Dallas, the flight to BHM was cancelled "due to weather," rescheduled for the next morning. She tried to find out if AA or United would pay for her lodging, but both would point to the other as being responsible. The reaction from the Continental desk when told of a weather cancellation was "why?" It was a justifiable question--no accumulation at the time with some spitting snow. Her flight was to begin less than 2 hours later. Any suggestions on getting reimbursement for the hotel room? Is it even worth trying? Which airline is responsible?

misman likes this.
  2. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just as a follow-up--the trip from DFW to BHM was on American Airlines

3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Typically you don't get reimbursement for weather-related problems. If you can find out why your NRT-ORD flight was cancelled, you might argue that the original cancellation led to a weather delay in DFW that you would have otherwise avoided. If it were me, I would try with United/Continental, rather than AA, because from AA's perspective, you were on a regularly scheduled flight that had a weather delay.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    2/12 flight 882:

SIN NRT CNCL CNCL OPERATIONS
    NRT ORD 747 18:10 13:49 14:35 10:23 OPERATIONS
    ORD BOS 16:05 16:08 19:27 19:28 OPERATIONS

I'd try talking to UA, but in my experience, its always been pass the buck until the customer is holding responsibility. There are "distressed traveler" rates at many airport hotels, so you can try and claim one of them by mentioning the problem, but you'll still be on the hook for that rate.

5. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, they offered me that one, but I actually got much better rate using the tonight feature of the Priceline app. Thanks for all the input!

6. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    that's bama for ya. you should be flying into/out of TYS :)

7. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, seek compensation. Travelers on intercontinental journeys are supposed to receive a hotel room in the event of weather problems causing an unplanned overnight.

genemk2 likes this.
  8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, she was no longer flying UA and now became the responsibility of Alaska into DFW or AA out of there, and who cancelled the flight in question. Can't see where UA comes into it any longer, and quite frankly AS got her to DFW so did its job. Seems to me AA would be responsible, but US carriers no longer bear responsibility when weather cancels flights. In my view, by agreeing to fly a routing other than on UA/CO within the USA, your wife technically excused UA of any responsibility if something like this occurred.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This. :-:

United is basically off the hook as they rerouted to another airline. The other carrier, AA in this case, is the one responsible for the passenger. And while the bad weather may not have fully hit yet at the time of the cancelled flight that doesn't mean that the cancellation wasn't weather-related.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without high status, the chances of getting much compensation are IMO extremely low and not worth the time. Unfortunately, but airlines are in business to make a profit and they cannot comp hotel rooms for the plethora of cheap tickets out there.

2wheels likes this.
  11. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've learned to love the state, but still hate the team!