Overnight at LAX

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by WilliamQ, Dec 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I am flying DELTA via ATL-LAX-SEA.

I arrive at LAX at 2345hrs and my flight out to SEA is the next day at 0650hrs.

A few questions
    1) Will my luggage be checked all the way to SEA or it is only up till LAX and I need to re-check them the next day.

2) Any advise on how I may maximise my time at LAX as I understand that the lounges closes at 1am

Thanks.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll almost certainly need to collect your bags. And I'd get a hotel for the 5 hours of sleep or change my flights. That itinerary is brutal.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are not wanting to sleep there is a Dennys just about 3 blocks from LAX on Century Blvd. Otherwise there are the usual assortment of motel/hotels in the area. If you are not collecting hotel points Motel 6 is about 5 blocks from LAX also on Century Blvd. They also have airport shuttle starting at 5am.

WilliamQ likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for a hotel... that itinerary is nasty.

Assuming you're showing local times, keep in mind that 23:45 in LAX is actually 2:45AM in ATL, so unless you're well prepared for the time change, you are really, really not going to be looking forward to spending the next 7 hours waiting for that SEA flight.

And if for some reason that 23:45 arrival is actually in Eastern time, then you should definitely get a hotel, because that means you have an incredibly long wait until the next flight.

traveltoomuch and gaijin62 like this.
  5. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, I just slept on the floor of the American Airlines terminal this past weekend for 6 hour overnight layover. And I'll say this, get a hotel. A bed is muuuuuuch better than the hard airport floor. I think I got 2 hours of "sleep".........Download HotelTonight and choose from there. Custom Hotel usually has decent last minute rates under $100.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay. seems like hotel is highly recommended.

I cannot do anything about the flights (btw they are all local time) but I think I will look at something under Hilton.

Hampton has always been one of my favourites for a budget night that still come with breakfast.

No 24 hours establishments nearby?

Not that it would be possible to do anything much if I have to collect and drag my luggage wherever I go but if vehicle rental is cheap and there's something to do......?

7. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a Dennys about 2 blocks from LAX. You can take a cab there for a few dollars.

WilliamQ likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Another option is to use the "distressed passenger" pink slips to book a cheap room. I use them frequently when I need a bed for one night near an airport and the rates are very competitive. Last time I used one in LA (November 2011) I got the Westin for ~$70+tax. There were other options cheaper but a bit further away (and I ended up staying in the Sheraton where I was the night prior where they price-matched the Westin rate). You can see rates online starting around 11am local time and the bookings are flexible.

Getting the "voucher" is easy. Just go to the baggage services office for any airline and ask for the distressed passenger hotel voucher. I've never been denied.

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does that convo go? "Hi, Im a distressed passenger and I need a hotel."

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    "Hello, can you please give me one of the pink distressed traveler hotel vouchers?

Thank you."

Add pleasantries and such as you see fit (I typically do) but there is no reason for them to deny you. It is just another booking agency so it doesn't cost the airlines any money and the travel agent makes money on the deal. The OP could even ask at baggage claim in ATL before boarding the flight so as to not worry about it on arrival. I have 5-10 of the certs in my bag at any point in time.

If they ask about my flight delays or such I'm completely honest, explaining that I just want a cheap room for the night.

Efilon87, WilliamQ and traveltoomuch like this.
  11. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked thoroughly at the options for flying earlier in the day? (standby? same day confirmed? I don't know Delta, but it's worth looking.) Or for sleeping in, missing your connecting flight, and invoking the flat tire rule?

For a hotel: the pink voucher and Hotel Tonight are good options. Priceline is also worth considering, and you can do that further in advance. The previous two options are day-of. Hotel Tonight just changed to offering rooms at 9am local time.

WilliamQ likes this.