Overheard on CNN.com: Angry fliers get what they deserve

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, May 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    CNN: Overheard on CNN.com: Angry fliers get what they deserve

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The passenger is always at fault. A neat excuse.:mad:

rwoman, perryplatypus and jetsetboy like this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but if people are still buying the seats, the guy's got a point.

4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    What if people are buying cheapest seats because they do not perceive any difference between them?

rwoman, perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're talking about FFers, maybe. But I'd bet most folks who are taking the kids to Disney World or to see grandma are just buying the cheapest thing they can find.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just another stupid expert commenting "lets see if we can make the headlines" type poll:rolleyes:

All this begs the question does anyone here remember (coach and all classes for that matter) seats being more comfortable than the current seats despite the complaints of the "experts" above?.

Really now what do they expect? to fly SFO/JFK in a padded 50" wide leather armchair for less than $100.00??

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....and then they try to convince politicians that because they have kids, they should have the right to reserve premium seats for free so that they can all sit together in the front of the ariplane without paying the standard fee for nonelites to reserve those seats.....meanwhile (if it works) FFers and business travelers can decide to either sit up front in our premium seats but be surrounded by screaming kids and lap brats or to take middle seats way in the back.

rwoman, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  8. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly coach and don't have status. But I do check in online 23hrs59minutes and a few spare seconds before my flight, and usually score pretty good seating....

rwoman, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course he has a point, but not everyone can buy the best seats on a plane due to monetary funds restrictions or space restrictions.

rwoman and jrp2 like this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense to me!

rwoman likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why should they spend more and get punished only to have kids and want a great time out together?

12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never really seen a flight where people with big funds who fly business / first outstrip "normal" people as passengers and want to see the world! Let people fly, it's love, that's what's all about!:)

13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess my thought is (for anyone), if you want a better seat, then pay for it...

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly: either earn it through FF status or earn it. It doesn't make sense to expect airlines to give these seats out for free to folks who typically travel once a year on the cheapest plane ticket they can find. Traveling with nosiy obnoxious props knows as children does not entitle anyone to special privileges. If they want to avoid paying for seats, then they are at the mercy of GAs and other passengers who have the right to decline to move from seats they have reserved and aid for. It needs to be understood that when others agree to move for a family, it is a favor, and not the right of the person with a kid to boot out others without kids. (Says someone who got ten hours of rude attitude from nonrevs in DL BE after refusing to move from my favorite seat for a 17 year old "child." In retrospect, I wish I had reported the incident to the airline at the time; perhaps their nonrev privileges would have been suspended.)

LETTERBOY, uggboy and rwoman like this.