Overhead Space Filling Up

Discussion in 'JetBlue | TrueBlue' started by Sean Colahan, Oct 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering what peoples experience with the overhead bin space filling up. I know jetBlue offers 1 free checked bag. Does that help alleviate the overhead space from filling up before boarding completes (meaning gate-checked bags) or does there seem to be space for bags in the overhead bins?

2. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    The shot answer is yes to airlines who check first bag free. At least that is what I have seen on SWA. AA still fly's a lot of MD80's, their over head storage is much smaller than say a 737. Just flew last week and saw this to be the case. But still if first bag is free it frees up storage and speeds up loading and unloading.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had to gate-check a bag on JetBlue maybe once or twice. And I often board last. It seems to me quite uncommon that the bags don't all fit. It happens, but it is not particularly common IME.

It is worth noting that JetBlue uses a few bins for galley supplies; that can mess with you all the way at the back of the plane.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen that too... usually the first/last bin are used by the FAs who either store their stuff in there first, store supplies or the gear they use for the safety demo.

Personally I think it depends on the route too... if you have business folks taking short hops from JFK to DC or ORD then it's actually worse, since those folks usually don't check bags and have carry-on almost exclusively, even if checked bags are free. Whereas if you have families taking trips to Florida or something they're more likely to check bags.

Or at least that's been my personal experience.

Sean Colahan likes this.