Over-DAY trip to LHR from ORD

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by brodyf, Aug 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next month I'm booked on the 763 AA flt #90 ORD to LHR, then on to ZRH the next morning on BA. Usually the transatlantics are all overnight trips, but this one departs ORD at 9 in the morning and arrives LHR at 10:45 pm. Has anyone on taken this route? I'm hoping it will help with the jetlag to spend the short night in a hotel (Sheraton Heathrow) instead of in a plane. It was also wide open up front and easier to upgrade with SWU. Anyone have experience with this flight?

zpaul, MSYgirl and iolaire like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always had the overnights, and they can be difficult to sleep on sometimes. I would probably do better flying in the day time and sleeping in a more comfortable bed at night, so I'd think your flight would be better. The flights from LHR to home are in the day time but longer, but I can usually manage a nap or two.

zpaul likes this.
  3. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:

I've done this one, as well as JFK-LHR and BOS-LHR (when it existed). I much prefer the daytime trip in terms of jetlag, as I'm usually tired enough to go to bed at a reasonable hour in London. Unfortunately I oftentimes don't have the day to burn vs. going overnight, though.

zpaul, guberif and tommy777 like this.
  4. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done this one 3 times. I like it. I only had an onward connection one time, usually stay in the UK. It's the same as any other flight, but you start with breakfast instead of lunch/dinner. It's the last AA flight I think and customs and immigration at t3 is pretty quick, I don't even use the fast track pass.

zpaul and brodyf like this.
  5. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'll let you know how the morning connection works out. It won't be a long nights sleep, but I'd rather sleep in a bed than a seat.

chanp and zpaul like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did it on CO EWR-LHR a few years ago. Definitely better for jetlag for us, though you 'waste" the day traveling

zpaul likes this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I strongly debated doing the day flight for an upcoming European trip. Ultimately it came down to not having enough time in my schedule. If you have the time, I absolutely prefer day flights for short TATL routines.

zpaul likes this.
  8. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take a day flight anytime, as I find they're much better for acclimating to the local time quickly. Plus, with WiFi on board (which I'm still not partial to) I can be online with work all flight and thus call it a work day, not having to take that day as vacation.

brodyf likes this.
  9. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I'm talking about. I'll get a full day's work in, then sleep in a bed.

zpaul likes this.