Over 330,000 Hhonors points in Q1

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by jparker, Apr 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just tallied first quarter of the year and made over 330,000 Hhonors points in that period. A big chuck came in way of credit card bonuses as I have increased my focus in this area but also a lot of it came through stays, Q1 promo, and other promos.

Details are on my site at http://notefromtheroad.com/2012/04/04/hilton-hhonors-q1-earnings/. I also completed a Diamond status challenge with Hyatt and a couple of free nights with Marriott so could have been a little bigger if I had stayed only at Hilton.

Let's see how the Q2 promo plays out in comparison...

Jason

2. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow that's an impressive number of HHonor points for just one quarter. Do you have an ultimate goal that you want to use the points towards?

uggboy likes this.
  3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    that is impressive. It's like getting 3000 points in SPG points or 30,000 points in Marriott Rewards points. :)

What can you get for that? 2 free nights at any Hampton Inn?

:D

-David

daninstl, ssullivan, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  4. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I can get two free nights at the Hampton in Muncie, IN. Assuming, of course, there is availability.

uggboy, LIH Prem and perryplatypus like this.
  5. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not particularly. The thing is, I was going to spend the money anyway so I'm trying to pay better attention to maximizing the points I'm getting for my dollars. If I were mattress running or only doing leisure travel, my strategies might very well be a bit different.

uggboy, 2soonold and perryplatypus like this.
  6. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Incredibly impressive. I wish my business were one that required me to travel more, but who knows? Maybe it will be someday!

Enjoy booking your award stays!

uggboy and perryplatypus like this.
  7. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you see the recent post on The Points Guy blog about raking in the HHonnors points? It is very interesting reading and cleaver how to get the most of your points via transers. I have very limited HHonors points in my account and I have been looking at way to expand my protfolio. One cannot live on SPG starpoints alone! Although I have been doing a pretty good job at it.
    Here is a link to the article
    http://thepointsguy.com/2012/04/25-...ess-to-virgin-atlantic-hilton-transfer-angle/

uggboy likes this.
  8. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:

I really have to step in for a second and defend Hilton Honors program. 3,000 SPG points is not even remotely worth 30,000 HH points, or 11x that as the OP stated, in his case 330,000 points. Congrats on achieving that, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. You can spend 8 nights at ANY Category 7 Hilton Hotel with these points, and have 40,000 left over, and that is about what 10,000 to 12,000 SPG are worth.

Don't mean to start a conversation about SPG points vs. Hilton points, I am aware of program differences, and I have plenty of each, they are apple and oranges. When it boils down to how many great rooms you can get with these points in top category hotels, then the value becomes 1 to 3, maybe 1 to 4, but certainly not 1 to 110 as suggested.

David, I do understand sarcasm, don't worry!

OP, if you have something in mind with Hilton and looking for more points, consider Hawaii Airline miles, Virgin Atlantic and Membership Rewards to Virgin Atlantic scenarios, you can really rack them up very quickly. Of course, AXON7 awards with your Hilton AMEX card at 145,000 HH for 4 nights are the sweetest spot in this particular program. (Yes, SPG 4+1 nights, Points + Cash,1:1.25 to airlines, are all sweet as well, so they have their place as well)

Cheers,

PedroNY

uggboy, wheat27, 2soonold and 2 others like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Impressive, indeed, but I just have one question. What does one do with all the credit cards that one gets by sign up? Isn't there a limit (not a legal one but a practical, even moral one) to how many times one can do this, considering the number of CCs one must accumulate in the process?

HaveMilesWillTravel and uggboy like this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I earned ~31.5k from the first quarter promo, which was more than enough to earn 1 night of points+cash (25k) for a reduced rate at the Conrad Hong Kong. I think my room rate before was around ~414/night, but now it's 25k+~$85/night. I used other points I'd accrued to help pay for the three nights I'm staying.

Points breakdown:
    34.2% base points
    8.5% status bonus (I'm Hilton Gold)
    50.8% Q1 promo
    The rest are MyWay and Amex bonuses.

uggboy likes this.
  11. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a valid question. In my case, I will use the cards pretty extensively as I have plenty of business expenses that go through my cards and I am not really a "churner." I don't personally believe it is ethical to buy coins from the US mint and redeposit them or game gift cards to achieve spending but know that others might defend those types of practices.

I also get the sense from some recent posts on various blogs that perhaps credit card companies are tiring of churners?

uggboy likes this.
  12. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:

As long as I never ever have to stay at the HGI Mountain View, CA in my lifetime, I'm not worried.

-David

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never been in the building, but "checked in" on 4sq a few times. What's up with it?

uggboy likes this.
  14. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hated it. It's just a typical low-rise motel sort of building very common to El Camino in that general area.

that's about t. I'm not much of a hilton person, but I was told how nice HGI was, and I needed 4 stays to do the gold challenge, so that was one of them. I did like the Doubletree near San Jose airport. That was much nicer.

-David

uggboy likes this.
  15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, so just bleary in the way that some properties are, then.

The Doubletree doesn't have a lot of suites, but some of them have jacuzzis.

uggboy likes this.
  16. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice work! - I only picked up about 30k myself but I only had 2 stays so I probably shouldn't complain.

uggboy likes this.
  17. roadweary

roadweary Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I thought I was doing good! I racked up 290K in Q1with only about 10K from credit cards. Now if only my company would let me use my HH AMEX for my stays, I'd be blowing out the points bank!

jparker and uggboy like this.
  18. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    One man's points pride, the other man's points envy!:)

jparker likes this.
  19. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you did that much without a lot of credit card points, then you are blowing the doors off my earnings!

uggboy likes this.
  20. Status Traveller

Status Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sooooooo envious!

21. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    This year and last year I was able to earn 230k points on HH via credit card signups and very limited spend + Citbank owes me another 40k soon.