Outside Lands Lineup Announced – and it’s Good!

Discussion in 'California' started by NileGuide, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. The highly anticipated lineup was finally announced for the 2011 Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival and it’s a doozy! San Francisco has secured its spot as a festival destination akin to Bonaroo, Austin City Limits, and Coachella. The experience takes place August 12-14, 2011. Naysayers, why would you not want to spend three days frolicking outside in the vast swath of lushness that is Golden Gate Park? Don’t listen to the cynics who lament about chilly summer fog. In years past, we’ve seen sun sun sun and 80 degree temps, offset by fog the next day. San Francisco always keeps it real and this event is no exception.
    [​IMG]Photo courtesy of Outside Lands
    Tickets go on sale this Thursday, April 14 at 12 pm PST. Early bird tickets sold out within a few hours, FYI, so don’t hesitate. Check out the full lineup here.
    This is definitely the event to scope out new bands you may have never heard of or seen before. There’s a strong sampling from the Bay Area’s backyard. Not to mention, it’s an idyllic setting to rock out to your steadfast faves. This year, I’m eyeing Muse, Latryx featuring Lyrics Born and Lateef, MGMT, DeadMau5, Girl Talk, Big Boi (of OutKast fame), STS9, and (gasp!) Phish. Hey, I’ve never seen them live so, haters, cut me some slack.
    Outside Lands is not your standard run-of-the-mill music festival. The vendors on site represent the true taste of the bay and it’s impossible to go hungry. How do BBQ oysters sound? How about tater tots with lavender honey mustard? Maybe you’ll be more in the mood for Korean tacos, Baja shrimp ceviche, or a curry plate? Vegans and vegetarians will be well looked after. Local microbrews and a grand selection of California wines will be on hand for your bevvy consumption. In years past, there have been dance domes, tech tents, hula hoops, lazy lounges, and artisan vendors in the Market Place. This year, Toyota will host a Prius Playground which will include a kinetic energy-generating seesaw which will power a snow cone machine (groovy!).
    [​IMG]Photo courtesy of Outside Lands
    If there’s any reason to plan a summer trip to San Francisco, this is it. Outside Lands has something for everybody – rock, hip-hop, electronica, dancehall, soul, bluegrass – and its fourth year of revelry will be yet another impressive weekend of endless tunes and good times. As I’ve been writing this, I’ve been listening to Berlin-based !!!’s electrifying grooves, satiating my reggae obsession with Collie Buddz and Major Lazer (can’t wait to channel my inner Rasta with these guys!), and bopping to catchy STRFKR. A great perk of the Outside Lands website is that you can listen to samples of every artist in the lineup. See you in Golden Gate Park in August!

Continue reading...