Outrageous hidden hotel fees

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Apr 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Outrageous hidden hotel fees:eek:

HOW ABOUT:

OR

Some fees are really " AMAZING! ":) GET THE LIST......

SOURCE: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/04/21/outrageous-hidden-hotel-fees/

Kalboz, wrxmom, bobsgt and 2 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume no one is forced to use valet parking. Resort fees, however, are usually mandatory and thus something I really despise (as you may have noticed in previous threads in the Hyatt forum).

3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are starting to see charity auctions for Caribbean hotels the come with mandatory $150/person daily fees in addition the the few thousand dollars that people pay to buy the destination at the auction.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    This this the reason I shy away from IC if I have a vehicle, IC Chicago's parking fee is not far behind. :(

uggboy likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the report:

Valentine, uggboy and bobsgt like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume we're talking about this hotel?

http://www.intercontinentalsanfrancisco.com/

(the $53 fee is clearly documented on their site, by the way)

The hotel may not have any other parking available, but there's a big public garage next to Moscone (5th and Mission). Not exactly cheap either, in my experience from parking there for Moscone events.

Same with the Grand Hyatt in SF. There is a big public garage (Sutter&Stockton) just across the street, so if you don't want to pay for valet parking, just use that one.

Personally, I hate valet parking.

uggboy likes this.
  7. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the Intercon SF may not have a self-parking lot on the premises, there are lots of other parking garages nearby that you can use for a lot less.... so you are not forced to use the valet.
    That said.... $53 for valet parking is insane.

uggboy and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    There might not be self-parking available in-building, but there are plenty of other garages nearby that will be expensive, but not that expensive.

Also, to anyone reading that's headed to SF and staying downtown/in the city: don't rent a car! It's a small place and you can walk or public transit nearly everywhere you want to go. Also, $50 in cab fare will get you lots of cab time.

But yea, resort fees blow.

(Ha! cross-posted with two)

9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    In San Fran, the Grand Hyatt charges 49, around 50 bucks seems to be the norm.

But there are so many garages to park at, it's not a big deal if you have a car.

I expect stuff to cost more at a luxury property, but what really annoys me are the resort fees you can't get out of that includes stuff you never use or the ones that include what you already have earned as a perk for free as a top tier elite.

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Evidently the report was misleading if there are options nearby. Thanks for correcting me. :oops:

I don't much like valet parking, either. And I sure wouldn't pay $53 for it! Plus, they probably expect a tip. :confused:

My personal bugbear is hotels charging a fee for WiFi. I stayed last week at the Marriot in Greenbelt, Maryland, and they wanted $12.95 per day for Internet access. Fortunately they had free WiFi in the lobby, and the signal reached my room on the 5th floor. ;) Plus, the conference I was attending arranged for a password for attendees.

uggboy likes this.
  11. Status Traveller

Status Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many hotel chains in Australia charge a 1.5% credit card fee :( even when you book an AP rate (no choice but to pay the fee!)

iolaire likes this.