Our Flight Home From Barbados: AA Gold Status Pays Off

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MLW20, Apr 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had a very nice flight home from Barbados on Lucas' 3 month birthday. On our first flight from Barbados to Miami, Kim and I each had an aisle seat. The middle seat on my side ended up being empty so Kim changed seats with me a couple of times to feed the baby. The flight attendants were very nice on the flight as were many other passengers. The only real problem was after landing. Our stroller did not make it to the gate and was sent to the baggage claim area.
    After wasting some time waiting for the stroller, we had a long walk to the passport control area. With only a little over 2 hours between flights this did not give us a lot of time to get through passport control, re-check our bags and go through the security screening again.
    It would definitely be nice if people with babies were placed on a fast track line to make things a bit easier.
    We stopped to grab something to eat before heading over to our gate and within 5 minutes of sitting down my name was called to report to the check-in counter.
    I couldn't imagine what they needed. Did they need to check our tickets or ID? Maybe it had something to do with flying with an infant.
    When I showed up at the counter, the friendly American Airlines representative told me that the flight had been oversold and that we were being upgraded to first class! He then said to me "You're gold right?"
    Read more at Michael W Travels

snugglening likes this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:

Did they ask for volunteers to be bumped?

MLW20 and kyunbit like this.
  3. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    exactly my question. I would take a bump over upgrade almost any day :)

MLW20 likes this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No they did not. I got to the gate 15 minutes before boarding and my name was paged right after I sat down.
    On the way to Barbados they were looking for volunteers to get bumped on the LGA-MIA flight which we did not consider. I said to my wife that I was hoping they needed volunteers for the way home since we had a few days flexibility etc...

tom911 likes this.