Our First Time Flying Southwest Airlines- I'm Impressed

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by MLW20, Jan 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Kim and I were pleasantly surprised by our flights on Southwest. We found the airline to actually be very good! (We flew SW on our recent trip to Louisville & Nashville.)

I earned Companion Pass status with Southwest which allows Kim to fly for free on any flight I book with points or cash. This will allow us to take (most likely) 2-3 more domestic trips with SW during 2013.

The employees just might be the friendliest out there. From the ticket counter, to the flight attendants to the pilots- they all seem to have a smile on their face.

Southwest has a generous checked baggage policy where they allow two free bags- pretty impressive these days. (Check out a post I wrote about an odd checked item we saw at the Southwest counter here)
    [​IMG]
    Their unassigned seating seems a bit odd but it also seems to work. People line up by an assigned boarding group (A, B or C) and a number. You then line up at the column with your number on it and get to board accordingly. Due to traveling with an infant, Kim and I got to board right after Zone A. The boarding process seemed to move fast and there were no arguments or issues with people getting a seat. Overhead bin space never seemed to be a problem either- probably due to each passenger being allowed 2 free checked bags if needed.
    [​IMG]
    We found the seats to be very comfortable. This was a pleasant surprise as domestic flights usually seem to offer little space or comfort. The seats actually seemed to be roomier than on other domestic flights we've been on. A key factor was that when the person in front of you reclined, it didn't seem to impede on your space much.
    [​IMG]
    The beverage and snack service is also done very efficiently. There were no carts blocking the aisles. The flight attendants first take all of the passengers orders on iPads and then deliver the beverages. They even came around offering refills! The snack was nothing fancy- a small bag of peanuts and pretzels but it was better than nothing.

Once the plane landed, it didn't take long for us to get off the plane and to our surprise Lucas' stroller was already at the gate, waiting for us! This is the first time we didn't get stuck hanging around for the stroller.

After flying with Southwest on four segments, I have to say that we are fans. I look forward to flying more with SW this year and hope that our flights will live up to the positive experience we had our first time around!

2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i have never had a problem with Southwest, the airline. i have problems with the clientele that fly them, mostly. it's just a different breed altogether. last time i flew them was ECP-BNA last May. they do orders by ipad, now?

3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny! I could swear that the FAs took ordered on an iPad but I was told that they do not. I don't think that I was seeing things but now doubting myself!

4. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    it could be something they just started or are experimenting with? you know, because the best use of a $500 electronic is to use to take drink orders with :rolleyes:. I can't get over how much some companies/individuals waste on stuff like this.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, agreed. All those suits flying up and down the coast in California on WN... can't stand that.

kenbo likes this.
  6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I called Southwest and they said they use paper & pen or a little computer. When I asked about iPads the rep said she wasn't sure because she is not on the planes!

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are often hidden cost savings. Management, deployment, security, licensing... even the devices themselves. I work in the industry and I'm still surprised by the use cases and reasons that actually do make sense for businesses.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Points, companion pass , Nashville , Chicago, San Francisco, and went to Florida for the weekend. Love Southwest everytime! Funniest thing is because it was a holiday weekend there were lots of babies-the flight attendant must have read my mind when I got up to move farther back. They are everywhere he said. I told him that I had earplugs and joked about having special meds so it would not be a problem, I would be asleep. He laughed!!

9. homeyfour
    Original Member

homeyfour Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flew WN BWI-CLE this past weekend. I was a little nervous (I'm a big guy - expected to be singled out to buy another seat) but no worries. I did spend 20 minutes in line to check luggage (non-FF in front of me, for sure). I only checked luggage because I needed to kill some time when I landed. Ended up only being 24 pax on the plane - had a row to myself for the short 1 hour flight. Was just fine.

10. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Southwest is safe and friendly with reasonable prices. That's all I'm looking for...