Other uses for 500-mile upgrades?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Dec 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I have a lot (seriously, A LOT) of 500-mile upgrades in my account, and I was able to use a total of two this year. Most of my flights are international, or, when domestic, on EXP-heavy routes, so my lowly Platinum status doesn't get me much. I've heard of being able to convert them to miles, so I'd like to know if that's really an option, or if there are any other uses for them.

Thanks!

2. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just found the thread on FT about exchanging upgrades for miles, but it seems that you have to show that you don't have use for or can't use them (all international travel, always fly paid J/F, etc.). Is that the case? Since I do have many domestic segments every year, that might work against me, even though I only received one upgrade out of all of my flights in 2012.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No reason to doubt the FT thread. Have you asked AA to convert these for you yet? If not, wouldn't it be better to ask AA to do so and see what their answer is prior to look for loop holes? :)

zpaul likes this.
  4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, DD - I was getting ahead of myself. AA Chile says no conversion of upgrades to miles, period, but I anticipated that, just wanted to try a local call first. Called AA USA and the first agent said that it looks like I could get use out of the stickers (even though I pointed out my dismal redemption percentage, which I guess doesn't really matter - I had the opportunity to use them, "better luck next time") so there wasn't really a reason to convert them. When I can bear the wait time again, I'll call back to see if I get a different answer.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think you'll find this is a YMMV thing. I've heard recent experiences similar to yours where people were able to get the stickers converted to miles. I'd try calling back.

Travelman and zpaul like this.