OT: Norwegian's first 787 Dreamliner arrives in Oslo

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by tommy777, Jun 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    As most Scandinavians probably know that Norwegian started long haul operations about a month back. Their Dreamliner has of course been delayed, but today it finally arrived at Oslo Airport.

Of course, it's a LCC set up with 32 Premium Economy seats in a 2-3-2 config in the same cabin where United has only 18 seats. In the back, there's of course a boatload of seats.

It will be operated from the Scandinavian capitals to FLL, JFK and BKK. Of course LCC, so p2p, no miles and low frequency, but still, they have kicked SASs butt many times already, so I think they will succeed in the leisure market to holiday destination. Its also noticeable that this is the first real Longhaul LCC attempt, but the prices has been far from cheap an nothing special so far

Here's the pretty girl: http://www.aftenposten.no/okonomi/Drommeflyet-har-landet-i-Norge-7243908.html#.UdBnfpNevHN

Fredrik, jbcarioca, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So in that landing video, why do they have the RAM turbine deployed (the little propeller thingie under the belly of the plane)?

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  4. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the comments on the news paper page, the video is of a test flight in the US.

5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw this machine at the Boeing factory last week - the one closest to the doors of the assembly building on the 87 line. It was painted already - apparently, it had to be returned to the assembly line for some corrective work. This was not battery-related, at least not according to the Boeing guide who responded to the group's questions on the matter.

Lots of BA 787s in various states of completion as well.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kinda looks like a coast guard plane to me.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Norway started an airline....????

:eek: :eek: :eek:

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Norwegian Air Shuttle has been flying Boeing 737s for almost 11 years now and is now the 3rd largest European Low-Cost Carrier. Norwegian has been awarded the Skytrax Best Low-Cost Airline in Europe for 2013. Norwegian Air Shuttle is by no means the Norwegian flag carrier - SAS is and that since 1946 with the signing of the SAS consortium agreement between Sweden, Denmark and Norway. This lead to the merging of SILA, DDL and DNL and two years later ABA was also included in SAS. The first two years SAS was only flying intercontinental flights, but with ABA on board SAS started also to fly within Europe, inter Scandinavia and domestic routes.

9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    YAY! Got my first Norwegian Dreamliner flight booked for next Thursday! Paid 1200 NOK for a seat in 1C OSL-CPH. The front cabin is empty. It's not very likely you'll see me on a longer flight on Norwegian, but this will be my 9th 787 flight on my 4th airline.

Definitely will put some pictures and write a short report here

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try to leave the plane in one piece; I'll need it for JFK-ARN-OSL in a few weeks. :p

As for the p2p and not so special prices, they're booking a connecting itinerary for me and at $300-400 ow US-Scandinavia in Y or ~$800 in PremE I'd say that is quite reasonable.

11. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:

I'll try. ;)

6-800 USD round trip in coach without food, luggage and seat assignment ends up being 750-950USD r/t. Prices from Chicago r/t Scandinavia are around 1000 r/t all in.

BA Premium Economy confirmable to Business for 10K Avios each way, is about 2K r/t....

Sure, you can save a few hundred bucks, but loose 20K miles and for those of us that has status (duh) lounge, upgrades etc.

I'm curious about their premium economy though. We'll see next week