OT : Aviation facts...

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Speedbird 001, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. So lets see how well OT topics go down over here on MP.

My first aviation fact ( Via the Discovery Channel)..

The Wright Brothers first flight was shorter than the wingspan of the A380

Does anyone else have interesting aviation facts to share with the rest of the board?

alex0683de likes this.
  2. Their first flight was 120ft. That's the same length (roughly) as an A320.

3. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh I'm sorry, I seem to have stumbled into kiddiestalkingaboutplanes.net ;) :p

But here's one anyway - the diameter of the 777 engine is the same size of the body of one of the early Boeings - either 727 or 737.

4. It's the 737, if you are going to insult the kiddies, at least get your facts straight! [​IMG]

Globaliser likes this.
  5. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, that was included within the subset of my possible airframes!

I think I always find it hard to believe it is the 737, even though the 777 is a hopelessly out of proportion airplane.

6. Fair point. I remember hearing that as a fact during the channel 4 documentary on the 777. If I remember correctly, the 777 was delayed in the same vein as the A380 and 787.

Also, does anyone else remember that the initial design of the 777 included a folding wing option to allow it to park nearer other aircraft? UA in particular were keen as it would have helped the 777 park in what was then a far too busy Stapleton Airport.