Original Routing Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hopscotch1, Nov 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am currently in the middle of an itinerary. Lax - Sea - Bos -Lax. The Sea - Bos - Lax leg is a mileage run. However their is a storm that may impact the connections in EWR.

Is it possible to switch to SEA -LAX and cancel the Mileage run but still get the original routing credit.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Officially, no. You might get a sympathetic agent and might not. But the official rule is that you earn based on what you fly.

ETA: The above is based on what the published policy was last time I saw it. I went looking again just now to provide the cite and I don't see it, at least not yet. Still, I wouldn't bet on getting anything you don't fly.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  3. winecountryua

winecountryua Silver Member

Status Points:
    Part of the success on ORC is based on if the change is coded Voluntary or Involuntary. If you ask for the change it will mostly be marked voluntary and ORC will be very difficult.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That explains why I easily got ORC earlier this year when my original UA flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues and I was placed on a direct AC flight instead -- I managed to get ORC and lifetime miles to boot.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  5. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My flights into and out of Newark were cancelled.

I called this evening and spoke with Mileage Plus. And, spent 45 minutes on the phone, but I was told that I would be able to re-route SEA to LAX, and request ORC. It took a while on hold, but hopefully it works out.

6. winecountryua

winecountryua Silver Member

Status Points:
    Invol ==> ORC eligible

However, it will not happen automatically. Post trip you will need to call MPSC (not reservations) and request

hopscotch1 likes this.
  7. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for that piece of advice. I will call in tomorrow after my flights.

8. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called in the day after my flights. And was told that I needed to wait 5 days.

I waited 5 days. I called again. It was pretty straightforward: I gave my mileage plus number, said I wanted ORC for some canceled flights, they took the old & new ticket numbers, the flight numbers, checked to make sure that they were eligible for ORC, and said that they would post in 24 to 48 hours. The flights posted in about a day.

It took way too long on the phone, but everything worked out just fine.

9. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why call at all? I've had success just emailing mileage plus for ORC. Did that on a cancelled flight I had endorsed to AA and worked it smoothly.

genemk2 likes this.
  10. cmwood

cmwood Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also had success by just emailing mileage plus when I was involuntarily rerouted after my original flight was canceled.