Original routing credit- is this a change in policy?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, May 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Recent TATL trip- several weeks before departure, DL had a schedule change and so they rerouted me. The new routing resulted in a decrease of 1600 MQM's and 1500 Sky Miles. My request for original routing credit was denied, with the explanation that:
    Is this a new policy or a change in policy? I thought that, as long as the change was forced from their end and not by the passengers wishes or request, they always used to grant original routing credit.

2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never thought of trying to get credits when the change was prior to the trip and the one time I had a flight changed at departure (oversold), I managed to get the original routing credit. But are SkyMiles not credited based on the ticket price paid? Did they refund you fare difference hence the lower amount of SkyMiles? I thought nowadays, only MQM gets impacted with route changes as the fares were pre-paid and locked in.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bit confused. The change in routing would affect MQMs but not RDMs under the new rules unless the OP had some partner flights that credit redeemable miles based on distance rather than fare.

IME DL grants ORC for involuntary changes but not stuff like SDCs. I've never heard of the delay on day of departure criterion. IIRC I did get ORC in January for a schedule change of about four hours that forced me to add a connection in order to leave as late as originally planned and as late as I needed to leave for the purpose of the trip. I don't remembeer having any issues at that time.

On my last IROP several weeks ago, the new routing was worth more MQMs so I requested and received MQMs based on the new (forced) itinerary as flown, but this was due to a severe departure delay that first posted at almost boarding time and resulted in a ten hour delay in arrival at my (international) destination.

My impression is that DL normally doesn't grant ORC for VDBs, unless possibly if this is negotiated at the time with the GA, but does give ORC for IDBs.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There was originally an intra Europe flight operated by KL, that was replaced with a Transavia segment (KL regional subsidiary, not credited to skyteam), so the loss of RDM's could have been from that. The schedule change was forced several weeks prior to the flight.

5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if it's a change in policy...I don't want to know. What I - and you - do know very well, however, is what this is. Indubitably...

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Busted Glass? er, I mean Best in Class?

7. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Si, muchacho. !Exactamente! Este es...

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

I had no problems obtaining ORC from UA on the two occasions last year when this happened. I haven't tried on AA, I don't fly them often enough to have this happen. But on DL we all know what to expect. Since DL refuses to record these flights in this way, you could always try obtaining ORC from AS MP.....

8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think ORC was always negotiated by cribbing about inconvenience. It was not automatically added to your account. GAs have less and less flexibility. You have to call Atlanta sir ! Is now the answer.

9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I asked for clarification of whether this was a change in policy, and where I could see the rules. Here's the answer. Basically, it's always treated as an exception, a special treatment, and therefore it can by definition be flexible and arbitrary. Nothing we can count on.

redtailshark likes this.
  10. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Thanks to you, this unpublished exception is now published :) A small glimmer of light on what they really do!! Yay!

But U no....da DL Borg H8s U 4EVA bc U blU da pop on dem!

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'll find a high school kid to translate that for me. You're not a high school kid, are you? If not, I'm impressed at your bilingual skills!

:p

12. redtailshark

Status Points:
    You think that's hs? College, more like. Yes, I'm able to communicate in their txtspk. Otherwise some student emails would be incomprehensible....

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Emails nothing. I've heard of kids turning in term papers written in txt.

14. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    The evolution of the English language. :D

Gargoyle likes this.
  15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    evolution or devolution?