Original flight crew quotes - the good, the bad, the wth

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by myskyconnections, Jul 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. myskyconnections

myskyconnections Active Member

Status Points:
    i was on a flight from sfo to fra on united (business). you know how they give you those fancy menus with detailed descriptions about the great food and wines that they serve on board. well, i wanted to try a merlot that seemed tasty, so i asked for it. the flight attendant said that they didn't have that one; so i asked why. she said that they rarely have the wines that are on the menu. so i asked why. she leans over and says: "you live in a dream world, sir" - wth?!

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They seem to have two out of three when I fly UA internationally... And the one missing tends to be the one I wanted. Doesn't really upset me too much. But the reply you got is amusing ;)

3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My rule of thumb: ex-USA, you never get the wine you want.
    Ex-Europe, you have a chance.

It's sort of sad hoping and praying for a $20 bottle in first class.

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    psst....next time try LH.....;) Even the duty free stuff is usually in stock.....

Jubileesmom, Sedosi and Gargoyle like this.
  5. myskyconnections

Status Points:
    not a big fan of lh anymore - amongst a few things, i really think that their business class seats are from the 80s...

Jubileesmom and Sedosi like this.
  6. myskyconnections

Status Points:
    best "quote": this was tons of years ago - virgin atlantic from lhr to sfo, business. my first ever flight with them. so, i sit down, make myself comfortable. a fa shows up at my seat, looks me in the eyes and asks:"would you like a massage today?". i really didn't know what to say. so i said:"not sure yet." well, during flight i just could not sleep. and there she was again:"i can see that you're having problems getting some rest - why don't you come with me, and i'll help you relax"...so i did. god bless virgin: best massage ever. and when i returned to my seat, i slept like a baby :)

7. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA to Vegas: "Yeah, we're going out tonight to watch the whores."

8. myskyconnections

Status Points:
    wow - who said that?

Jubileesmom likes this.
  9. myskyconnections

Status Points:
    here's an interesting one: i was on a flight from sfo-zrh with swiss. first class (nice!). can't sleep (again), so i start falling in love with the red wine they had. after my 5th glass, the fa comes up to me and says:"not sure if i can serve you another one - are you still in command of yourself?" - wth?!

Jubileesmom, bananajax and Gargoyle like this.
  10. Chemgirl

Chemgirl Active Member

Status Points:
    First thing I thought of: "yes, and I recently promoted myself to captain! Is it my turn to fly this thing?"

11. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was one of the FA's on the flight. We were talking to him about what they did in Vegas, that was his answer.

Jubileesmom and Gargoyle like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eastbound TATL overnight flight: Pilot comes on intercom in the middle of the night, no turbulance but he wakes everyone up and the cabin lights are turned on. We get a long monologue about where we are, how high, how fast, etc. (who cares?) and at the end he says in a Texas drawl "Well folks, we lost an engine about an hour ago and we're going to land at the nearest airport...." This was a TWA L-1011 at the time when engines were literally falling off the wings of DC-10s which were grounded. Panic ensued, but it took a while to figure out that it was necessary to correct the announcement and reassure people that we hadn't literally lost an engine in the sense of it falling from the sky but rather there was some minor warning light which caused the pilot to turn off one engine.

13. myskyconnections

Status Points:
    sounds like a funny kinda pilot...

Jubileesmom likes this.
  14. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    YFC-YUL on a less than half full DASH 8. FA starts the flight by observing "there are plenty of empty seats, so if you'd prefer some extra room, or you don't like the person you're sitting beside feel free to change seats." He was cracking jokes the whole flight. Seemed to enjoy his job.

Jubileesmom and myskyconnections like this.
  15. myskyconnections

Status Points:
    not bad...

Jubileesmom and YULtide like this.
  16. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Notified my flight attendant of a broken IFE before take-off (morning flight). She replied, "Oh yeah, I've been on this aircraft for the three flights before this, too. It's always been like that. I just haven't bothered to tell maintenance."

Well, that explains why it hasn't been fixed!

Jubileesmom and myskyconnections like this.
  17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    And on the return, an hour delayed, we had what actually turned out to be a great FA on a regional jet. He blocked the entrance to the plane, took out his phone, and proceeded to take several pictures of the sunset. "I'm not going to see anything that beautiful for a while. You guys don't mind, do you? No one's in a hurry to get on the plane. Go ahead, take a picture for yourself."

Jubileesmom and paladin87 like this.
  18. myskyconnections

Status Points:
    here's where i ask the net promoter score question: would you recommend this airline to friends and family? nope!

19. myskyconnections

Status Points:
    simple: wth?!

20. stepshows

stepshows Active Member

Status Points:
    This one still makes me nervous....."We'll be on the ground shortly" What happened to "...landing soon" ?

YULtide and myskyconnections like this.
  21. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Favorite nugget from a Southwest safety speech: "Please put your mask on before helping your child. If you have more than one child, start with the one with the most college potential."

22. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With today's cost of college, perhaps reversing the order of children might be beneficial.

23. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or inserting the word "scholarship" after "college?"

Jubileesmom and marcwint55 like this.
  24. myskyconnections

Status Points:
    hahahahahahaha - not bad.

Jubileesmom and marcwint55 like this.
  25. myskyconnections

Status Points:
    the one i really "enjoyed" was on a flight from lhr to sfo (ba): plane lands, pilot comes on and says (in typical british):"ladies and gentlemen, we'd like to let you know that united states law enforcement agents will board this plane once we open the doors - a passenger in economy will need to be arrested because we noticed that he was taking illegal drugs during the flight. thank you for your cooperation."