ORD International flight question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by TUMD, May 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a flight to London next week and will be leaving the US from ORD. I am flying from SPI-ORD-FRA-LHR. I was wondering if I will have to go through security again when going to Terminal 5 at ORD for my international flight. I haven't flown out of there before so I was wondering how much time I would need.

2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    nope

TUMD likes this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might probably go through it again in FRA, but in the Chicago I doubt.

TUMD likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won't actually fly out of T5 on the itinerary described. The only airlines flying ORD-FRA are UA and LH. Both UA and LH depart from the UA conourse in the main terminal - B or C gates. And you will not reclear security at that point inbound from SPI.

In FRA you'll remain in transit and outside the Schengen zone. I believe you can do that without clearing security as well when inbound from the USA.

5. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I guess I just assumed all international flights went out of 5. I am flying UA SPI-ORD and then LH ORD-FRA-LHR. I only have a little over an hour at FRA so I hope I wouldn't have to clear security there.

6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a JFK-FRA-BOM (Change in metal) and DEL-FRA-JFK one was scanned and patted at Frankfort airport. So does LHR in terminal 5, when flying exclusive BA metal and so does CDG. You go through security flying from US to a non-schengen airport, transiting in these three airports.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew JFK-FRA-KBP and did not rescreen. It helped that we had a gate rather than a hard stand for the connection.

Only one of the four examples you've provided is relevant (JFK-BOM). None of the others are comparable scenarios to what the OP will be flying.

TUMD likes this.