ORD->DUB - award booking help

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cheryld, Nov 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I am trying to book tickets for my family(4). I foolishly assumed that I would be able to find award tickets. I am fine with 4 business, 4 coach or 2 business and 2 coach. The ideal dates are 6/25 - 6/30..but we are a bit flexible.

First, I called BA to fly EI. I checked flying out of ORD, BOS, JFK, YYZ. They have one seat from ORD-DUB in coach on 6/25...but that is it. BA has availability to fly ORD-LHR. But she couldn't get me to DUB from LHR - plus the fees are too high. I did notice that each time I called back(3 times to try other routings) there seemed to be a variance in what was available.

I tried AA -only anytime awards available at 60K each in coach, no saver availability in any class. I only tried out of ORD. I did call to see if I could to ORD-MAD-DUB or ORD-DUS-DUB...no availability there either.

I can get home using UA miles on 6/30 - I was able to see 4 saver seats in coach. But I can not select seats, it tells me that we 'need to see an airport agent during check-in to receive your seat assignment.' Can I call Aer Lingus and prepay for seat assignments once booked?

US Air has availability at 120K r/t.

I have 1.3m AA miles between DH and myself. 400K United. 230K US Air. 80K BA. 250K MR and about 200K UR points.

Before I throw in the towel, I thought I would see if I was missing something obvious to others and not to me. :-o

Thanks in advance!

2. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you thought about splitting up your family if that is possible? Two can be easier than four. Also have you thought about using one of the services to help you book your tickets?

cheryld and moongoddess like this.
  3. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately there's no way to know if or when award availability space for your 6/25 flight will become available. Would you be willing to buy a couple of one-way tickets if you can't get some or all of the award seats you need on that date? Are you willing to pay any fuel surcharges?

After the ticket is booked, you should be able to call Aer Lingus to select seats, yes.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    cheryld likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you try looking for ORD-BOS-DUB as well?

cheryld and moongoddess like this.
  5. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    If BOS-DUB isn't available, then wouldn't ORD-BOS-DUB also not be? I have searched on both AA and UA from various hubs to Dublin. The problem is the lack of Saver awards.

Lam, I have looked at 2 and 2, I actually do all of my searches for 2 seats first. It was just luck that there are 4 open for the return on UA. We would be fine splitting up.

moongoddess, thanks for the info on selecting Aer Lingus seats. I don't see the value in paying fuel surcharges to connect in LHR when using miles for a standard award.

One other reason I want to use miles(besides cost) is that my 'kids' are both in their twenties and working. Just in case something comes up and one or both of them can't go, I would rather just be out the award cancellation fee.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry...I didn't see BOS in the list above before. :oops:

cheryld likes this.
  7. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked into flying Iberia and routing via Madrid? When I booked my summer trip to Europe in August I ended up booking on Iberia because they had the most availability. Not sure if that still holds true but might be worth a look. I used Qantas to search availability.

cheryld likes this.
  8. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I will try that. Update: I see availability on Iberia for 35K from ORD-MAD - but when I called AA, they say there isn't any.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  9. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was booking my EI flights a couple of years ago, the flights from MCO-DUB had no availability. Of course, BA changed the award chart and I had it figured that BOS-DUB was 25k, so we decided to book those flights instead. However, I forgot about my expert flyer alert and in Jan of that year, awards for June showed up. We still went with paid tickets to BOS and the BOS-DUB flights.

I would suggest either waiting for a while to see if they release space, or use Avios on the way back and use other miles on the way over.

cheryld likes this.
  10. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    HUACA (Hang up and Call Again)...some agents just don't understand how to use the computer systems they are paid and trained to use.

cheryld likes this.
  11. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your replies! I did call back and luckily spoke with the best res agent ever...Marilyn at AA. She spent time looking and found MIA-MAD in Business - saver awards at 50K each via Iberia on 6/24. She added in ORD-MIA in F. My 'kids' are thrilled! I have a 24 hour hold on the whole itinerary.
    The only problem is that I couldn't get from MAD-DUB within a day. So it is another 20K to go from MAD-LHR-DUB.
    My plan right now is to use Avios to book MAD-LHR-DUB instead - it's only 7500 miles then. Availability is the issue. But I am happy spending a day or two in Madrid.

Still can't get home yet..minor problem! It is tempting to wait until January to see if non-stop ORD-DUB or BOS-DUB and back on EI might open up...not sure I could handle that though. :-o

sharris503 likes this.
  12. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you try Philly? Aer Lingus flight from Boston I believe starts in Philly. also Iberia and BA usually have good award seat options to Philly - from LHR the early flight is 4 class so I try that flight or if necessary since day flight, WT+
    Once in Philly lots of flights home

13. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is availability (4 coach tickets) from Dublin to JFK 7/1 through 7/4 on Aer Lingus.