ORD - DME plus a few extras....

Discussion in 'Europe' started by scf, Feb 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...I need some help figuring out the best route for my upcoming trip.

My wife and I would like to visit one of our friends in Moscow this coming spring.

We had originally planned the following:

ORD - LHR
    LHR - HEL
    HEL - Moscow via high speed train (maybe a one night stop in St. Petersburg)
    DME - LHR
    LHR - ORD (could alternatively fly to CDG and spend 1-2 nights there before departing to ORD instead of LHR)

Leaving on a Tuesday afternoon and returning 12 days later on a Saturday. Price was around $1200 per pax for airfare only....

We've since thought about swapping HEL for VIE and maybe doing a one night trip from Moscow to St. Pete via the sapsan train.

Ideally we'd have 48 hours in LHR (visiting friends) in either the tail end or beginning of the trip. We'd also like to be in Moscow for 4-5 nights. I think we'd need at least 2 nights in Vienna to see the sites, maybe 3. St. Pete would be nice but an expensive side trip both in money and time.

That being said, I am having trouble figuring out the best flight plan. Any tips or suggestions? Would prefer to stay on *A but would jump to an alternate airlines (SU, easyjet...etc) if the price is worth it.

Thanks in advance for your help...!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you say visit friends, do you intend to stay with them rather than in a hotel? If so, you need to start to look at the visa rules and requirements as you cannot enter on a tourist visa. I would start here ASAP.

scf likes this.
  3. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    We plan to stay with a friend for most nights. I have begun the research/process for the visas. Our friend can sponsor us or we can use a visa company to help with the process. While tedious, it looks doable. thanks for the heads up!

4. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...am thinking about just doing a simple r/t ORD-DME with a stopover in VIE on the east bound leg and a stopover in LHR on the west bound leg. Not sure of the proper way to display the route...am still new at this game.

ORD-VIE-DME / DME-LHR-ORD

Found a UA flight that allows for a stopover in VIE but am still struggling for a flight from DME-ORD that's allows for a stopover in LHR.

Any ideas on how to locate such a flight...? Any other ideas for the itinerary in general?

Thanks!

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want *A, look for connections through *A hubs for the return, for example DME or SVO to FRA/MUC on LH or DME or SVO to ZRH on LX or DME or SVO to CPH on SAS, followed by flights from the European hub to the USA and then connecting back to ORC if you cannot get the nonstop from the European hub to the USA. LH/LX and SAS are the obvious big European carriers, but *A is huge, so it can pay to do your homework and explore less known *A carriers than might fly from Moscow to somewhere in Europe.

Doing a stopover in LHR will subject you to huge fees, but if you want this, it's the same process. Look for space from a Moscow airport to somewhere, ideally a major hub, in Western Europe, then from there to London (Why restrict yourself to LHR? LGW can also work to get to central London easily and LCY is already almost there. Stansted and Luton are farther, hence not so convenient, but if that's where the space is, you should consider these alternative airports.)

6. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks MSP.

I've explored most of those options and haven't limited myself to just LHR nor DME - should have been more clear in the original post.

Do you know of any tricks or shortcuts to find out if the fare rules allow for stop overs? As of right now, all I'm able to do is search for flights using ita and then check each individually...very tedious work and am hoping there is something out there that can shorter the process.