ORD connect - 30 min Dom-Dom. Would you risk it?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by 7Continents, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA is booking domestic-domestice connects at ORD at 30 minutes. I'm booking an award flight and this is all that's available. Ordinarily I'd stay home rather than risk a 30 minute connect anywhere, but this is a special case. Would you do ewr-ord-sea with a 30 minute connect?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check whether first leg usually runs on time. Also see if there is a backup flight to SEA in case you run late. If sboth are yes, I'd go for it. If the second only is yes, I'd likely chance it anyway.

3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. It's a bit tight, considering you need to be at the gate 10 min before the flight, and it might take you about 10 min to walk between gates in the worst case.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the PHL-ORD leg is on UAEx and it comes into the F gates, it can take a while to get from F to B/C.

5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP was inquiring about EWR-ORD, which is mainline or CO but for one single UX flight. CO uses B4 - 6, and UX7545 seems to go to B20/21.

FWIW, There is a shuttle between E/F and C gates.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go for it, unless you're flying out of EWR on a Friday afternoon.

7. DCAview
    Original Member

DCAview Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. If the choice is between travelling with a risk of a misconnect or staying home, I say travel. After all, you could plan a 60-or-more minute layover at ORD and still see your plans fouled by a mechanical issue, air-traffic delays, power outages, or a lovesick guy sneaking past the security checkpoint to see the girl he just dropped off.

Gargoyle and Billiken like this.
  8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I wouldn't do it. But that's just because I hate the stress of tight connections and will go out of my way to avoid them.

But, B to C isn't that long a walk. At the worst case you're looking at ten minutes or so.

If you get a WX issue you could wind up in trouble, but now that we're out of winter that sort of thing is less of a problem. MX or crew and it's UA's problem to get you on your way regardless, and they're usually pretty good at this.

So if you don't think dealing with the tight connection is going to cause you too much personal stress, then go for it.

9. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL - I actually got a $400 voucher from CO after I was delayed coming home from Europe because of said lovesick guy...it was a grand day. Thanks for the opinions....I'm not worried about me being able to move fast with no checked bags,,,just the usual what-ifs....

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah if there's an acceptable backup later that day, I'd do it. Especially if it's going to be a B to C (or vice versa) transfer. If that's your only choice between not going, go for it. As you sprint down the concourse keep hearing that little voice "Run, Forrest, run!" [​IMG]