ORD Aloft - quick report

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Gaucho, Oct 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a quick one nighter at this property. The usual Aloft setup and amenities, better trained staff that most of my other experiences at this brand, they provided all the usual SPG perks including a requested 4pm late checkout. Shuttle service is on demand and they were short staffed on drivers during the day I stayed so this was perhaps my only relevant negative.

Would stay here again if the rate were right....

Sweet Willie and sobore like this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, my room was on the ground floor so I cannot say how loud the music was in the elevators....

:oops:

sobore likes this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I quite like this property- the blaring music in the elevator and the lobby (in the evening) however is jarring to say the least. Hopefully this has been fixed?

Gaucho likes this.
  4. dale.uark

dale.uark Active Member

Status Points:
    Aloft properties strike me as pseudo-upscale hostels, and should be priced accordingly. They're unique, I'll give them that.

Gaucho likes this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Starwood doesnt hide this..... after all, I think Aloft properties are marketed as a division of W Hotels. For a good rate, these places are quite good, if a little noisy for me now that Im an old fart, but if I were still in the game, I would be a regular at these as they all seem to have the right crowd of "in" people....

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt it.... I think that the club like music level is part of their branding and marketing strategy....... perhaps William and the other SPG Gurus can confirm...?

7. SPG Champion
    Original Member

SPG Champion Official Representative

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure that music is a large part of their branding and marketing strategy. I'm also confident that the effectiveness of it can be added to or detracted from by the decibel level in which it is delivered and that is under the control of the individual property. I'm sure they would appreciate anyone's feedback, regardless.

Gaucho likes this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know how far the walk is to the metro station?

9. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume you meant the Rosemont Metra Rail stop. According to Google Maps, the Metra station is less than 1/2 mile from the hotel, so rather close.

Gaucho and edekba like this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    was wondering if it was safe to walk ... late @ night (aka after hanging out in Chicago Proper)

11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll leave that up to the locals to answer for sure, but I've stayed in Rosemont 2-3 times and haven't had concerns walking late at night - but this is coming from the guy who was walking on West Lake St between Ogden and Halstead at 3am on an early Sunday morning less than 2 months ago.

12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are two parking options at the ORD Aloft, self park in front of the hotel for $26 or in the garage for $20.
    Seeing as many ORD hotels have free parking, this is a big negative to me.

I'm local. There isn't a Metro in Chicago.

The Metra rail line ONLY runs on weekdays & has a pretty poor schedule: http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/ncs/schedule.full.html
    The Metra stop is not w/in walking distance to the Aloft.

I'm assuming you mean the El (Cta train) which runs from quite early to very late. www.transitchicago.com/blueline/ The closest El stop to the Aloft is on North River Rd. Quite a walk but certainly doable.

Personally I take both Metra & CTA on a regular basis, I prefer Metra over CTA if I can make it work for me but both are fine. I also would have no problem walking late at night from Rosemont stop to the Aloft as River Road is a very busy road and Rosemont cops are plentiful.

13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup & thanks

Sweet Willie and Gaucho like this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Aloft has on demand shuttle service that works 24 hours, so you dont have to walk to the train station, you can just call the hotel as you are close to the Rosemont station and they will send the shuttle to get you. I used this method a couple of times and aside from the times where one driver was off and they were short handed, it worked quite well.

Sweet Willie and edekba like this.
  15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got back from a 3night @ the Aloft here and overall not bad. I stayed on the 6th floor ... and just had one negative thing to say. I requested Make a Green Choice ... and they never cleaned our room but I never got the certificates that I normally get when doing it. At check out I told them about this and they said they would credit 2 nights of the Make a Green Choice and they did. So overall A+

I did ended up renting a car since i found a deal for 3 days at National for ~$75. Parking at the Aloft is $20/night : (

16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it not free parking for Hybrids?

17. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    didnt see anything that said that.

18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It appears the language has been changed as it now reads "Our most eco-minded guests will be pleased to find plenty of eco-friendly options at Aloft Chicago O'Hare as we offer premium parking spots for hybrid cars and the choice to reuse (towels and linens) to help conserve water and energy. Let's go green!

edekba likes this.
  19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didnt see that either. The parking lot is shared with a Movie Theater and something else. I didn't see any "eco reserved" spots anywhere ... but then again I didnt really go through all 3 floors of parking :)

20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    They used to be directly in front of the building- not in the parking lot. It was a good deal as we would pick up a Prius and the free parking was a nice bonus.

Gaucho likes this.
  21. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I also remember the free parking for hybrid signs....

22. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    maybe I didnt see it ... then again i was never in the front lot :)

23. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Review of a restaurant across the street from Aloft.

I had read about the stores at the Fashion Outlets of Chicago Mall based in Rosemont. There is a Bose store w/remanufactured goods & I needed a new cord for my headphones. I also noted a restaurant called Prasino. There were some items on the menu that sounded promising.

I don't know what we were thinking heading to a mall on a Friday night during the holiday shopping season but parking is a breeze as there are indicator lights above each parking space, red light the space is occupied, green space is empty. So very easy to find a parking spot & the first two hours are free.

Upon approaching the restaurant, I was worried as I saw the sign of slow business desperation, waitstaff outside holding menus. We soldiered on.

The bar area & restaurant in the back are quite nice, much nicer than I would imagine in a mall.

We started with a 6 skewer of grilled pork belly, served with an Asian salad of jicama, slivered red pepper. Quite enjoyable.

I had the Prasino burger served on beautiful brioche style bun with smoked gouda, tomato jam, arugula, pickled onion. Burger was served perfect medium rare (what I requested). Delicious burger. Next time I'd get the tomato jam on the side as it was a bit sweet, but that is nitpicking, it was a VERY good burger.

For my side I had upcharged to the truffled potatoes which are nicely cooked wedges slathered in aioli, garlic & hint of truffle. A surprise hit of a side, very decadent. (Heavy on the aioli, we didn't eat it all as it was soooo rich, but delicious).

Mrs Willie had the smoked lamb baguette (more like a ciabatta than French baguette) served with avocado, cilantro, pico de gallo, feta, chipotle aioli. Another delicious sandwich with a good amount of smoked lamb inside.

We both were VERY pleased with our meal & plan to return again.

Prasino
    5220 Fashion Outlet Way (off of Balmoral)
    Rosemont, IL 60018

stedger2 likes this.