Orbitz Showing Mac Users Pricier Options?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by From NYC, Jun 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're not the only one :)

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find it hilarious that the NPR posted a email from the Orbitz CEO complaining that the WSJ is hiding key points of their story behind a pay wall. (see the update at 3:25 PM ET)

The WSJ was actually one of the first news sources to clarify that although the default ORDER of the results was being changed, the actual PRICES for each hotel were not. If you were to sort by price, then you would get the same options no matter what computer you used. All Orbitz is trying to do is ensure that you get tailored results, just like Google ranks some higher based on your search history.

The WSJ hides some of its story behind a pay wall because it wants people to pay for the news. Duh. That's how it affords to pay competent journalists.

NPR, in contrast, just leaves these details out. I was listening to them in the car this morning, and during the business news segment they actually said something along the lines of "If you want a good price, I guess you better borrow your friend's PC" as if to imply that Orbitz is trying to raise prices for Mac users. The detail that the WSJ published, that this was just a change in the order of search results, was completely left out.

edekba likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    And yet NPR still can't provide an accurate and complete story. :rolleyes:

I left out the part where, in the beginning of the NPR segment, it specifically referenced that it was getting its news from WSJ. And yet it left out a key detail that changes the story from one where Orbitz is trying to be helpful (and admittedly improve its profits) to one where it is charging different customers different prices. I don't care if news channels poach each other. It annoys me when they leave details out along the way.