Options on a 14 hour layover in NRT

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Singapore Flyer, Apr 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    wife and i are flying out this Friday and have a 14 hour layover (9pm - 11am) on Saturday into Sunday before going to Singapore. It is Golden Week and we were deciding between heading into Tokyo and fish market/bumming it at the Conrad Lobby and/or Manga cafe OR staying in NRT. Unfortunately the Radisson is booked and a majority of the other hotels are booked to capacity or going to cost close to $120 USD. So, the question is do stick with plan A which is to go into Tokyo or try to find an alternative in NRT. Any suggestions from others that have had to deal with a longish overnight layover in Japan?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Narita is usually my hotel of choice in that situation.

3. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Seth, if you are saying that, then it probably isn't a good idea to blow that much money and time to get into Tokyo. You are the king of taking purposeful side trips during longish layovers in my book. :cool:

Hilton is booked too. Didn't know Golden week was this crazy with the hotels by NRT. Back trying to find Manga cafe...as Kayak isn't helping.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Narita...what a dreaful property...

lsed likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you think you can survive that time awake in transit then go for it. I'm usually too jetlagged on that chunk of the trip so I skip it. The transit time to/from Tokyo eats up more than an hour each direction. Even if you only want a couple hours of sleep that's still a schlep to get to it.

Certainly not the nicest hotel in the the world, but for a few hours of shut-eye between flights it is quite serviceable. And very convenient, too.

Singapore Flyer and NYCUA1K like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a property in Asia, Hilton NRT is at the very low end, but it is definitely convenient, especially for very early flight out NRT. It is, in fact, how I wound up there. Although Hilton Tokyo Shinjuku does provide a bus service to NRT, I would have had to get up extremely early to take the bus. To avoid any uncertainty, I just booked a room at Hilton NRT for the night before my flight.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Compared to what? I've stayed at many, many smaller/dirtier/less elegant hotels in Asia. They would all make the Hilton NRT look quite luxe in comparison.

zphelj likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Compared to other Hilton properties, course. Other than during my first trip to PEK some years ago when I stayed at hotel that cost me just $35/night and had one public shower/toilet per floor, I have avoided booking 'cheap' hotels thru INeedHotel.com :D. The lowest category Hilton hotel in China I stayed at was Hilton Chongqing, and it is a luxury hotel compared to Hilton Narita...

9. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the Holiday Inn at NRT over the Hilton. Closer and usually cheaper too.

Depending on daylight hours and your energy levels, you might hop a taxi to the Naritasan temple complex. It's free and open (I think always) and drop-dead gorgeous. The Omotesando street leading to the temple entrance is lined with shops, cafes and noodle bars - probably something that would work for you. No idea what it will be like during Golden Week - probably hopping times ten.

I don't know how many thousands of people annually pass through NRT unaware of this national treasure lurking 15 minutes from the airport.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I love the temple there and will likely visit it again in June when I'm in town for 26 hours rather than head into town (though plans aren't finalized yet). I didn't realize it was open overnight as well so didn't think that it would work for the OP's plans.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a 5:30 pm flight out NRT the second week of July, so I wll leave for the airport early to try to see that "national treasure", of wich there are hundreds in the Kyoto/Nara area...

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  12. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Correct. Almost all overnight hours.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

13. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Would love to check it out but I have heard NRT town is much less busy and closes at a respectable hour unlike Tokyo.

14. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went from PH Tokyo to Hilton NRT. Lol.
    But even without the awesome stay at the PH Tyo, it's very clear how lackluster Hilton NRT is.

But at 12.5K + some 3000 Yen it was quite a steal I guess.

Only stayed in the hotel for about 10 hours. Could't wait to checkout and get to the airport.

15. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    HiIslands likes this.
  16. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think zphelj is referring to the Richmond Hotel in Narita town. I highly recommend the "comfort" level rooms there. They are soothingly quiet and comfortable after a long flight. And it's easy in/out, especially if you take the 15 minute Kisei Line ride from the basement level of the Narita terminals.

The Narita San temple is an enjoyable 15 minute walk away and there are also a lot of decent restaurants in the area.

They do have rooms available on the night you mentioned starting at US$176.

17. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I found a cheap stay. I think this place wins hands down as being dated. It was under $84usd on agoda since many other close hotels were booked. Quite large and decent enough bathroom amenities. Wife likes them. We also decided at T-8 to bring out youngest (not ideal but had to) It will be interesting but so far pretty good. The ANA flight was great. Bulkhead behind E+. I wouldn't pick those seats it again though. We had the row but the seats don't have a moveable armrest. I am pushing the boundaries. :p

image-2748813167.jpg

Wandering Aramean likes this.