Options for earning more PQMs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by rhock1, Nov 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. rhock1

rhock1 Member

Status Points:
    Hi, sorry to post such a basic question but I have done a lot of research and it seems each year there are variations to the ways in which you can boost status. I wanted to clarify what these are for 2015 for anyone looking to get more PQM's before year end. I am looking for guidance on the below in terms of accuracy and anything I may have missed.

Ways to earn more PQMs:

1. Fly more miles (including switching routes to cover more miles)
    2. Mileage Plus Premier Accelerator (costs vary, I have been quoted from 0.07 cents per mile - which I cannot currently get to 0.15 cents per mile - with the usual offer falling at 0.11 cents per mile)
    3. Status match if you have elite on another airline

Previous year's methods of attaining more PQMs
    1. Mileage plus choices, swapping miles earned on the credit card for PQM's at a rate of 10:1 - no longer available as far as I can tell?
    2. Charity action on this site (will there be a 2015 charity auction?)
    3. Perks Plus for businesses (no idea if this applies for 2015 but it doesn't apply to me)

FYI I am a 1k member due to get about 75k miles for 2015 and I want to find a way to get the extra 25k PQM's without paying the premier accelerator cost (for me > 3k).

Any input much appreciated.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you have the $12k PQDs in hand, I can think of no other ways for you to get to 100k PQMs than those you have mentioned except an MR or two or three. Further, PAMs usually go up in price as you approach year end.
    I have not heard of any charity auctions this year, but I don't always find them.
    I will say, though, that Platinum gets you the same flight day experience that 1K does on International and heavily traveled flights. It just doesn't get you all of the GPUs and only 2 RPUs. If I were you, I wouldn't sweat to get to 1K, it's probably not worth it since you can use the money you would have spent to get there on paid upgrades.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. That doesn't get you PQMs and it is unlikely that UA will offer a match/challenge to 1K, especially for requalification.

Yup. There's also a reduction (18%) in RDM earning for future flying but even with that it probably isn't worth the expense (time or money) for the PQMs this year.

8MiHi and rhock1 like this.
  4. rhock1

rhock1 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, I do have the PQDs, whats an MR?

I have got used to being upgraded domestically pretty often - my concern is that with Platinum the upgrades will be few and far between. I think your point is very valid though - how much are the 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs along with free unplanned upgrades actually worth... probably about $3k if you can use all the PUs - but for next year as it stands I think I'll have to settle the Platinum and see how it works out.

8MiHi likes this.
  5. rhock1

rhock1 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - good to get validation on my inclination that its not great value for money

8MiHi and Counsellor like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mileage run. Basically trying to find a cheap flight somewhere to get the missing miles.

Pizzaman and 8MiHi like this.
  7. rhock1

rhock1 Member

Status Points:
    ah - thanks... I saw a flight from Dallas to LA for $42 today - I can see how at 3 CPM that could make sense if you have the time.

Pizzaman and 8MiHi like this.