Opportunity Cost...

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by xhunter33x, Feb 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to make it clear that there is no sarcasm intended when I ask this question. I am 47 years old and have not rented a car with any company but Hertz since I was 21.. (at that time, only one company would rent a car to someone who was between 18 and 21 and it was not Hertz unfortunately). For the first time I am looking more closely at my rental options as I have to rent a car in Cincinnati for several weeks in April. I noticed that the rate Hertz is charging is almost twice that of several other well known rental car companies.

Question....Am I getting something from Hertz that I would be very sorry that I was lacking if I went with another company? I don't want any big unpleasant surprises, but at the same time I don't want to waste money. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gregm likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    #1 Gold service?

xhunter33x likes this.
  3. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    My problem is that I have nothing to which I can compare Hertz. I love walking out and not having to go through all of the hassle and I love picking my own car. Also, I have never had an automatic, but always a sporty manual and it's difficult for me to maneuver something to large and they are great about getting me a sportier car for the same price.

MX likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you did not have a specific car requirement, you could consider a rental car to be standardized commodity product. There may be differences in the level of service, and not necessarily in favor of Hertz.
    However, a "sporty manual" car is no longer a generic rental product. So a typical search engine would not give you a good idea of availability and pricing. I suggest calling a few rental outlets in the area of interest, and choosing from what they've got to offer. You may eventually decide that it's time to relax your requirements in rental cars. I myself have long established preferences in cars (incl. manual, diesel, etc.), but I always settle for much less when getting a rental.

xhunter33x likes this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're not in it for the rewards, AKA points, and/or perks, AKA Gold Service, go with what fits your wallet. I am your age and also remember not being able to rent from Hertz. My second choice was and still is Enterprise. My priority now is not spending time standing in line both at pick up and drop off. Hertz is usually more expensive than Avis and Enterprise, but with Hertz I'm "President's Circle" and have about 16,000 gold points to use and the choice of earning Delta SkyMiles as well. (Yes, other companies have the same benefits.) All I'm saying is to do whatever makes the most sense to you. I don't pay for my expenses, so as long as I keep things reasonable, everyone is happy.

xhunter33x likes this.
  6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd suggest branching out if you value speed of pick-up/drop-off.

Avis has many more locations that offer their Preferred preassigned car self-service pick-up and drop-off service then Hertz. Avis has 1400 self service locations vs 1000 Hertz locations with normally just a "Gold" counter where you still have to talk to someone. Avis also have a National aisle like "Select and Go" feature at most major US airports to let you chose an alternate car option on your own. And generally they have better upgrades for high frequency renters too. At Avis, I haven't been to a counter in months & can arrive/depart within a minute or two of bus arrival to lot normally.

Enterprise is still to hokey for me - all the renting rigamarole - I avoid them unless the cost differential is 2x.

National has a better select an alternate car "aisle" program and their rewards are better then Avis, but they don't do as well with # of locations or self service options.

Hertz points are the most flexible of all though.

xhunter33x likes this.