Opinions re that US Credit Card thing

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Flag_November, Mar 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the credit card deal they push on USAirways flights a good deal, if you are going to be using US a lot and lack status? Just curious as to what people think.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. desert_gecko
    Original Member

desert_gecko Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is supposed to give you zone 2 boarding. Plus if you spend $25,000 in a year, you get 10,000 of preferred qualifying miles. Once you reach the 'select' level, you'll get some award fees waived too.

3. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a good deal for someone who does not have any status. The companion pass alone will pay for the annual fee, and then some -- especially if you fly with two companions. You also get a Club pass for you and a guest.

Just keep in mind that when you apply for a new credit card, your FICO score will take a hit for about a year. I would advise against applying for the card if you expect to apply for a loan in the next year.

Sally4th, jbcarioca and Flag_November like this.
  4. Flag_November
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the feedback.

5. Flag_November
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So as not to start a new thread - I received my US Mastercard and now, supposedly, I get to board in Zone 2. How does that work? Should my US boarding passes now come out with Zone 2 printed on them? Is there a delay, say, a billing cycle, until that benefit is effective?

Or do I just have to brazen my way to the door, maybe showing the agent my credit card?

Sorry to be so ignorant, but flying without status is so much less fun.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It means you get the crowd the boarding area just like everybody else behind F and Zone 1. :D

Seriously......Your boarding pass will indeed have Zone 2 printed on it, since your DM# is tied to the credit card. It should not matter that you have not yet received your first bill. The caveat is that if you made the reservation prior to signing up for the card, there is a possibility that Zone 2 will not be printed on your boarding pass. This should be an easy fix for a check-in agent or gate agent to fix.

Also, if you are crediting your miles to another frequent flyer program, your boarding pass will be reflective of your status (or lack thereof) in the frequent flyer program.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Flag_November
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My bag was gate-checked to my final destination last night due to exactly that situation. Our inbound aircraft was delayed and they were trying to speed up the boarding process once it arrived by calling all the zones quickly. It worked about as well as you might expect. At least at my home airport (DFW) they do give '2' a chance.

8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    US really should experiement with some sort of split boarding line like DL or UA have to try to mitigate the gate crowding problem just a little bit.

9. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA's red carpet is only for UGS, 1K & F. I like CO's system better, where F boards first, and then Elite Access (i.e. all other CO elites & *G's) board in the left lane (on the blue carpet), and everyone else boards in the right lane. At least that way late-arriving elites can swiftly board without getting stuck behind everyone else during the general boarding process.

10. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...and J.

11. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    This card pays for itself if you make good use of the annual companion voucher. So whether you use any of the other benefits is minor so long as the card effectively costs you nothing, or rather saves you money on the one or two companions you'd have paid regular price for anyway.

jbcarioca and Flag_November like this.
  12. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like Delta's automated recording for boarding. The less frequent flyers are listening for a gate agent to talk so when the recording announces first class they usually don't notice.

13. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i like the 5k discount on award tix, myself.

if you get low-tier domestic, you're saving 20% on an award tik

14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is not necessarily so. People with few/no inquiries and few/no new account openings recently probably will have no hit at all. Depending on the type of loan (auto, mortgage, installment, another card) there may well be no impact anyway. The negative impact will exist if the OP is actively shopping for credit very often, but otherwise there's unlikely to be any problem at all.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ageed. I don't usually use miles for domestic award tickets, but I booked a ticket for a family member a couple of months ago and was pleasantly surprised that it only cost me 20K miles and $10 after the $25 award fee was waived.

Does anybody happen to know if the club pass is transferable? I already have a club membership so don't use it, but my SO has the rare upcoming trip when he isn't traveling with me and I wonder if he can use it if the card isn't in his name.

16. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    The club pass is, officially, not transferrable. The cardholder's name is printed on it. YMMV on them actually checking the name--- some agents are very strict, some are not.

Isn't the waived award fee only applied after $25k annual spend? So if you don't spend $25k in a calendar year, you still have to pay the award booking fee. I think.

17. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I'll have him take it along, but makes sure he has milk money for the carolina sports bar in case he gets rejected. (I'm definitely looking forward to getting to the 60K +1 club membership special dividend. After I get home from ORD this week, only 19K miles to go.)

18. Flag_November
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I got the card pretty quickly, and I'm getting the zone 2 boarding (a HUGE help with carry-on - I book a row in the back, and I can stow my stuff at leisure) but I didn't get the companion passes nor did I get the 1 day pass at the USAirways club. Do those just take a while longer to show up? I haven't been billed for this card yet - maybe there's a connection.

19. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update: Club day pass in my name with accepted with no issues or questions. Yay!