Opinions on mileage accumulation

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Aug 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've just passed my SE minimum for 2015 (unfortunately on segments!) and am mulling over what to do for the rest of the year. Is there any benefit (other than more Aeroplan miles) to continuing to pile on segments for the rest of the year?

I may be able to get enough segments for status in another program (American or Delta).

What would you do?

2. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you are not going to run out of ecerts for U/G's then you should feel free to try another airline if that is in any way practical.

3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the other hand, consider whether you can realistically work your way toward MM or 2MM status. WHere are you in that hunt?

4. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it boils down to a few things:
    • Are you aiming to become ACMM - if so, it makes sense to keep piling on the miles with AC
    • Do you want/need more eUpgrades - then again AC might make sense
    • Are you willing to accumulate miles in multiple programs knowing that they might become stranded if you don't accumulate enough to make use of the ones in other programs
    • Are you willing to endure no status on American or Delta for a few months until you get there? If not, UA might be a better choice to allow access to E+ next year

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could request a challenge on AA (I don't know about DL) whereby they give you the status for 90 days and to get the rest of the year you need to meet their criteria. On AA, they have 3 ways to get top tier - EQS, EQM (total miles, no elite/fare bonus) and Elite status points (miles* factor - based on the fare code).

I don't think the lower levels offer much (And certainly not as much as SE would) but if you are talking another 100K, then AA would be great.
    It will also be dependent on where you fly, but at present, I am 100% domestic upgrades on AA, and their SWUs are on all fares.
    Some of their routes are pretty good - like the A321T flights JFK-LAX/SFO with lie flat in Biz and F.

The points others have made should also be assessed in your decision.

YULtide likes this.
  6. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've given up on MM & 2MM as even with almost 100 segments this year, only about 40 are on AC and they are mostly short haul trans-border - stuck at about 550K lifetime miles (had a couple years of UA 1K status when I live in Asia that would have helped), the needle moves too slowly and I don't see it happening.

Since I'm not getting that many segments on AC these days, I have an adequate number of e-certs.

Big drag is I tried American last week (flight cancelled resulting in missed connection) and Delta this week (flight delayed resulting in missed connection) so I may go back to AC/UA - they just have more options connecting through Chicago where my primary travel is focused these days.

Delta does treat me well, though. I get boarding priority 1, and I've been upgraded once already this year. Not sure why (I have some stranded miles from NorthWest that they didn't expire, unlike AA where I'm starting at zero).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chicago (and midwest) had some issues last week and this weekend. I have been very happy with AA as an Exec Plat so if you do stray from AC/UA, I definitely would ask about status challenge so you are not starting at the bottom.

YULtide likes this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes the bottom is the place to start -- oops wrong thread :D ;)

tomh009, YULtide and canucklehead like this.
  9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello Kitty. Its been a while!

but I disagree, friends (or frequent flyers) don't let friends (or other frequent flyers) queue with the riff raff, or pay luggage fees, or purchase BoB meals, or wait outside the lounge! :p

10. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Woah, the kitty is back! Good to see you again ...

YULtide likes this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    G'day! Ensure how long I will be around but thought I would at least say hello!

YULtide likes this.
  12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Hello" right back! Or should I say "meaow?"

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  13. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same boat re SE/dim glimmer of MM on AC- I use Delta as my secondary carrier as they are the only other two class option from YWG. DL Silver in this market has been useful re upgrades and accessing preferred seats.

slalom likes this.
  14. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may pass 100K by the end of September. But my most common destinations are EWR and NRT/HND, and apart from AC, only UA flies direct to EWR. And there's not much benefit in having 25K in UA -- I would generally rather sit in Y on AC than E+ on UA, especially given the preponderance of Q400s UA flies between YYZ and EWR.

Otherwise, flying DL or AA to Japan, connecting through the US? Again, I think I'd rather take the AC option. But of course the situation for each of us is different.

slalom and YULtide like this.
  15. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did 4 segments on Delta last week and thought the experience was much better than on American the week prior. For some reason, I've been given priority boarding. Flights all left on time and they provide light snacks on-board!

Most of my travel is transborder and domestic U.S. so not sure on how the experience would compare to NRT/HND.

southender likes this.