Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zshanlon, May 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because I have a bit more experience with travel than some of my friends and because I dispense advice freely with out much prompting I have developed a reputation as the "go-to guy" among my friends when travel is the subject. They have no idea how wrong they are...

My friend and his wife need to get to a wedding in SEA by 8/15. They cannot leave until 8/20 and they want a 1 or 2 day stop in SFO before the 15th or after the 20th. Pricing on AA and UA look comparable at $545 no matter which way I shake it.

That ain't the worst price in the world for a transcon with an open-jaw i've ever seen. Would you guys take that price now or hold off? Anything creative you can do?

I suggested using his AA mile to take advantage of the "free open-jaw" from international gateway cities and fly to SFO then to YVR instead of SEA but he doesn't have enough...

2. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given how far out the travel it is, it may pay to wait. But it all depends on risk tolerance. Some people are okay with risking it going higher for a chance at it being lower. Some are more comfortable getting it a some price and knowing they won't have to pay more.

I am no expert, but what I would do is put the trip in yapta.com and track the prices over some days for weeks and see how they fluctuate. Sometimes that gives me a range for what is "normal" for the routing. However, airline pricing is crazy with consistency so YMMV.

HTH

zshanlon likes this.
  3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alternate airports??

Did you check pricing for OAK and SJC?
    Have you thought about using miles as 1 ways?
    Have you thought about purchasing one of the short segments on alternate carriers ie SouthWest and Alaska?

4. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those are all good thoughts. I considered them briefly but I haven't evaluated them yet because I wanted to keep things as simply for them as possible. Ill look into it though. Thanks.

5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are they flying from? There are some pretty cheap EWR SFO fares in August, I think. Doing the trip as an R/T to SFO with a nested SFO-SEA R/T might be cheaper.

Sweet Willie likes this.