Opinion...would you use HHonors points or cash?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Emos-closet, Jan 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a two night weekend stay coming up with Hilton at the Doubletree Kuala Lumpur. I can pay out of pocket at a rate of $160 for both nights using the special sale " any weekend anywhere" that get 33% With the stackable promos going right now...I will gain approx. 10500 miles plus the points I will earn on the $160 out of pocket. I am Hilton Gold, so that is 2000 points. 12500 points gained total but out of pocket $160.

I can also book a reward stay for 16625 points per night , 2 nights =33320 points redeemed.

Advice please...Which would you do? I don't generally stay at Hilton and felt the award stay rate was a pretty good redemption but now I am not so sure....

IDGflygirl likes this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use a .5 cents per point value for my Hilton points, so if you use points for your room, you're only saving $80 or so per night.

I'd save them for some other time, but remember they don't earn interest.

DTWBOB

Philphactor likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without doing any calculations, as a very general rule, the points required for a hotel award stay reflect the average rate for that property. So when you can get a particularly good rate for that property, such as a good promo or a weekend stay at a city business hotel, it can be smart to think about paying for your stay. Conversely, if you would be forced to pay close to rack rate but can still book an award stay, this can be the time to do so.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    As Bob said I would look at how much value I would be getting back. However, the most important question is whether or not $160 is a big deal to you in your current financial situation? I would consider how expensive the food in the area is as well since I could use points on hotel and the money that would've been spent on the hotel for food/etc.

5. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually don't use points for such a price range. With the promos you are getting quite a nice return as well.

6. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response. Normally $160 is not a big deal but this is only two days on a 16 day trip that includes hotels in Bali and Penang. I am already paying a ton out of pocket, so my strategy was to save a little cash by using points wherever I could.

After reviewing the responses it seems that the best value would be to pay out of pocket , save the points and accumulate more points.

Will the Hilton gold benefits received on a paid stay be better than a reward stay?

IDGflygirl likes this.
  7. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="

Will the Hilton gold benefits received on a paid stay be better than a reward stay?[/quote]

They should be about the same -- I've stayed at the Palmer House on points and received an upgraded room

DTWBOB

deant likes this.
  8. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should receive the same benefits on paid or award stay. Should is the key word as some hotels are not as they should - but usually in Asia it is not a problem. My best upgrades and benefits were on award stays in Asia.

deant likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed at this very property Jan 1-4, 2012, on award (74k point for 3 days in a suite, which was a bargain), and there was no noticeable difference in the way I am usually treated in this part of the world on paid stays. I know for sure that the Gold benefits will be the very same that would get on a paid stay. The icing on the cake is that the service will be super regardless. It is a brand new property, so enjoy!

cvsara, Emos-closet and deant like this.
  10. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the calculation should be based on the points you will spend along with the points you won't earn by not paying for the room (opportunity cost). In this case, you are looking at a cost of 45,820 pts to save $160 out of pocket (assuming all points are counted correctly and costs include all taxes and fees).

If you go along with the 0.5 cpp valuation DTWBOB provided above, then you would normally want to save closer to about $230. If you weren't getting so many bonus points, this would be much closer to a fair shake but given the bonuses... I'd pay now and save the points for sometime in the future when there isn't such a lucrative promo out there.

11. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just booked by paying cash with the 33% off sale. Since the room rate went on down...it should have been a no brainer! Thanks for the words of wisdom!

12. tomy77

tomy77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, they have 30% discount on "Premium" or Cash&Point until June 30 stay i believe.
    https://hiltonhhonors.com/RewardsPromo/GetBackPoints.aspx?Lang=EN
    So your 16,625k points (which i believe is "Premium" room right?), in reality only cost you 11k. Really competitive.

But you're right. With 33% any weekend, and stacking promo, especially today (2500 extra via facebook), it's really better just to pay the rate. And don't forget the double/triple airline promo (or 2k straight up for delta) if you use Mile/Point.