Open jaw

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by deltagoldLass, Aug 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. deltagoldLass

deltagoldLass Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi
    Though not a newbie I still feel good coming in to ask questions which might also benefit newbies so here goes :
    As per delta site
    It mentions open jaws are allowed?
    I thought those are not allowed
    In fact
    I truly don't understand open jaws
    And have sidestepped the topic for fear of having my
    DL sky miles account closed or frozen
    So looking forward to do clarification please
    Namaste :)

YULtide likes this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    An open jaw is a trip where part of the trip is covered by surface transportation.

For example you might fly from LA to Washington DC, take Amtrak to New York, and go back to LA from there.

Under this example, the open jaw would be the part of the trip you take by Amtrak and it has to be the shortest leg of the triangle.

Under certain circumstances, open jaws can be very handy and I've used them often and the price of the ticket is usually half the price of two round trips between the cities involved.

In this case, that would be half the price of round trips between.LA and NYC and LA and Washington DC.

DTWBOB

deltagoldLass likes this.
  4. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you book an award ticket with an open jaw using two different airlines. For instance, could I use American miles to fly from Chicago to Tokyo on JAL and then Hong Kong to Chicago on Cathay all using the same miles and on the same ticket?

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    you should be able to; since JAL/CX are both OneWorld. You can also throw in a stopover ... so ORD-NRT --- HKG-ORD-(some other US city) or reverse it [US City - ORD - NRT]

http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/maximize-your-miles-stopovers-and-open-jaws-on-american-airlines

That'll help explain things

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure. And AA allows one-way awards so you don't even have to book it as an open-jaw if you don't want to. The advantage of booking it as an open-jaw/stopover is that you can basically tag on a free ORD-HNL at some future point in time.