Open Jaw Question

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by Steven Schwartz, Nov 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got asked for some help from my brother-in-law. Not travelling until 2016 but wants a strategy so he can gather miles. Taking a cruise from Tokyo to San Francisco. Realized when I started that ANA does not allow one-way but that they do allow open jaws. Would it be legal to book JFK to NRT ---OPEN JAW---SFO to JFK?

Thanks for the feedback

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can ANA actually fly a passenger from SFO-JFK legally? Think that is prohibited. Might be able to do a SFO-CANADA leg then CANADA-JFK leg. or maybe a code share with a US flight.

3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I assumed the SFO-NYC would be a code share with United. Not even sure if they will do a combined booking. Anyone know?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding of the ANA award rules is that the first and last segment must be international so JFK-NRT + YVR-NYC would work but SFO-NYC to finish would not be a valid award. I've never called to confirm this but it is how I understand the rules based on similar queries and discussions posed in the past.

And, yes, ANA can book you on the SFO-NYC segment as part of an award. The cabotage rules cover who can operate the flights, not selling them.

5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just sent the question off to ANA. I'll report back when I hear from them. Thanks to all.