Open jaw and all that

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by michael21, May 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I've just learn of this concept and if I'm correct, my ord-fco then VCE-ord via united could have for the same price been VCE-ord (home) and then like 6 months later ord-fra...is this correct and more importantly can I change my itinerary to do that or has that ship sailed?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can not book ORD-FCO, VCE-ORD, ORD-FRA as a single open-jaw award. That would price as three one-way trips. What you can do is book ORD-FCO + VCE-ORD as a single award, where FCO/VCE is the open jaw. You could also book ORD-FCO + VCE-NYC and have a double open jaw.

When you want to move in to the advanced levels you can also add in a stopover. That means you could book ORD-FCO + FCO-ATH + ATH-ORD with stops in both FCO and ATH (one is the destination and one is the stopover) as a single award. Or you can add in the open jaws to the stopover and book something like JFK-LWO + KBP-MCO +JAX-EWR as a single award, including an overnight in VIE to have dinner with a friend on the KBP-MCO section. :cool:

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok so really simply can I do ORD-TLV-ORD-FCO as one trip? As In a round trip and then add that last leg?

4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes and no.

Yes, I believe you could book it that way as a single reservation if you wanted it all together for some reason (being reimbursed by someone/IRROPS protection/etc.)

No, it would not be any cheaper in terms of mileage than simply doing a ORD-TLV-ORD roundtrip and a ORD-FCO one-way as seperate reservations.

If paying with money there might be reasons to do it involving fare rules,but I don't think that's your question.

Sent from an undisclosed secure location using carrier pigeons.

5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am confused...then what are people talking about with the open jaws that you have to take within one year or something?

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think what you're talking about is something like this.

ORD -FCO ; VCE - ORD ; (few months later) ORD - LAX. I don't think you can do You can do ORD-FRA as the segment.

http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/maximize-your-miles-stopovers-and-open-jaws-on-united/

That might help explain

7. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok I'm going to ask you to really dumb it down because all this stopover/open jaw stuff is too confusing. I want to go to TLV and FCO in the next 12-15 months from ORD. What is the cheapest/best way to work the routing?

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you throw them together time wise? If so this would work i think.

ORD - FCO; FCO - TLV; TLV - ORD

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The open jaw must be the shortest of the three legs of the triangle created by connecting the two cities where the open jaw exists. If it is a double open jaw then it must be the two shortest segments of the quadrangle.

NYC-IAH-SFO is not an open jaw because NYC-SFO is the longest of the three sides, not the shortest. NYC-FRA-IAD is an open jaw because IAD-NYC is the shortest side.

A stopover occurs when you stay at a location for more than 4 hours on a domestic itinerary or more than 24 hours on an international itinerary. If you are booking NYC-TLV-NYC then you can have an extra segment onward from NYC elsewhere in the USA as a free add-on to the trip. But the extra segment must finish the trip such that A-D is still the shortest segment of A-B, B-D or A-D (assuming the stop is at C, which might be the same as A but not necessarily). So NYC-TLV-ORD-LAX works because LAX-NYC is the shortest of NYC-TLV, TLV-LAX and NYC-LAX.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYC-IAH-SFO example visually:

[​IMG]

But ORD-LAX < NYC-LAX in distance, so I'm confused. If LAX-NYC needs to be < NYC-TLV, TLV-ORD and TLV-LAX, then it works.

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a related note, do the white segments here qualify as shortest? (itin link)

[​IMG]

I think NAN-AKL-PER is the most direct *A routing and it's 4659 miles (less if direct of course), and I do want to stop in ROR. Trying to figure out how to get a round-trip ticket out of part of this itinerary, where I'll want stops in CXI, NAN, XCH, MNL, and ROR.

[​IMG]

FWIW, color-coded by airline in this last: blue = United, yellow = Air Pacific, cyan = Air NZ, red = Virgin Australia, white = Singapore.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I edited that part of my post a bit as it wasn't quite right. In the TLV trip example ORD actually doesn't matter as it is just a stopover, not a destination. The points of the triangle would be LAX, NYC and TLV. LAX-NYC has to be the short leg as that's the open jaw. Sorry for any confusion there.

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification. Based upon that, my proposed itin should also work.