"Open" award ticket

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Canadi>n, Feb 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can someone please clarify this for me. I had to cancel the return on an award last year after the outbound was flown. The agent told me the ticket would be valid for rebooking within a year of its issue (September 2013) but that I had to fly the same routing (i.e. YVR-YYZ). The award was a NAmerican F/J. Is it true I must use the same cities, or can I apply it against any route within NAmerica?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe it can be used on any flights in the same "zones" but it must also be valid for the full routing. So it has to meet the stopover/open-jaw rules too.

The fees (based on elite status) would potentially be different for changing the cities versus just changing dates.

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, WA. I've not called UA since they've got more important re-bookings to deal with given the new storm in the NE. As noted, my original routing was YVR-YYZ nonstop return in business (AC has no F but J's as good or better as US airlines' domestic F). However, I'd like to rebook as YVR-SFO-ORD so it's the same zone but not the same end city. Recognize there'd be additional fees to be added to what's already "in the bank".

--------------

Indeed was able to do a re-route and fly SEA-YYZ in business with AC on the open segment, no change in miles required (though for some reason the confirmed booking shows 37.5K miles instead of the actual 25K. Also got a $17 refund! Nothing available the day I must return YVR-YYZ so will hop Amtrak to Seattle and catch the flight from there: $56 for a business class rail ticket.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014