Open $25k TD Ameritrade for 20k SPG

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by privateer, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. privateer
    Original Member

privateer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Must be funded by 31 March 2011
    http://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/partner/starwood/starwood.html

$2k deposit = 3k *pts
    $10k = 10k *pts
    $25k = 20k *pts

The rest of the details you probably care about:
    Account must remain open with minimum funding required for participating in the offer for 9 months, or TD Ameritrade may charge the account for the cost of the Starpoints. Allow 6 weeks from account funding for the first half of Starpoints to appear in the Starwood Preferred Guest account. To qualify for the second half, TD Ameritrade account must remain open with minimum funding required for participating in the offer for 6 months from the first Starpoints posting date.

First set of points posted quicker, haven't received second half yet, so I can't tell you if they get irritated when you take your money back away!

PAinNY and miles and smiles like this.
  2. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ameritrade also has miles offers for many airlines. The Continental and United offers would be of interest, since Starpoints do not transfer to these 1:1.

You can find all of the Ameritrade offers on my website below in the Finance section.

PAinNY likes this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done this deal. You do need to keep your $$ or securities in the account for 9 months.
    I received the first half of my points within two weeks, the second half a week after six months.
    And, as Gary has said, TD Ameritrade has been offering these deals for many years.

PAinNY likes this.
  4. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe you only get one offer for life regardless of program chosen so use it wisely!

miles and smiles likes this.
  5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't worry too much about the expiration date. This offer has been around for years, in the same form. They always just keep the date in the near future, probably to encourage action rather than delay.

Actually, they've also had good transfer bonuses. I got a lot of AA miles for transferring a mutual fund over to the account I established under this promo. The current transfer promotion is pretty weak in my opinion, but they do change from time to time:

http://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/transfernew.html

6. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    The once in a lifetime applies to each type of account, so I opened an individual and a joint account and received the appropriate starpoints for each in my Starwoods account. This was a while ago so it would be wise to check with TD Ameritrade to see if that is still in effect.

7. Guess I'll establish a joint account for another 20k!

8. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I opened an individual account, and then converted it over to a joint account. Can I still open something and get another bonus? Any ideas?

9. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not know but in my experience I have always found the TD Ameritrade people to be very easy to get answers to my questions. If they really want your $25K deposit they will find a way for you to get your additional bonus.

Good luck.

10. What happens if you put in 25K...get the 20K bonus...take out 24.9K...which is what i did...based on the fineprint...do I have to be scared to get charged after 9 months?

11. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    yea i'm curious about this... it says you need some kind of minimum but i don't know if that means your deposit value...

cuz wouldn't you be pissed if you put 25k in there, u lost $5k, then they charged you for starpoints bc ur balance wasn't where it started?

12. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called and asked about this. They said market losses did not count against maintaining minimum funding for the purposes of fulfulling the offer. The CSR said something like "of course we won't hold your market losses against you."

That said, I opened an account through this offer ($25k) in August, and I have yet to have any starpoints post. I should probably call.

13. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Market losses do not count against maintaining your minimum, but withdrawing your principal or any interest do count against.

14. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, withdrawing interest counts against it? In my case I opened the account by depositing stock, and immediately sold the stock and let the balance sit in the account as cash. (Admitedly, not a smart investment decision, but I think I should still be good to go on the SPG points.)

15. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I transferred a municipal bond worth a little over $25,000 August. In the ensuing months, its value dropped below $25,000. I received a dividend from my bond, and I asked TD if I could withdraw the cash from my dividend. They said no. They said any withdrawal would void their offer. So, my advice is to check with them before you do anything that might jeopardize getting your points.
    I have received my 20,000 Starpoints, and now I am waiting until May ( 9 months for me) to withdraw my bond and the cash.
    Also, I believe that TD charges $75 to close your account.

16. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a transfer in for a bonus for existing customers. Now I want to move the money. I asked if that would jeopardize the bonus, and they basically said "it could" and told me how much longer I'd need to let it sit to overcome the potential problem.

Frankly, these guys are doing it right. I'm always surprised/happy at how sloppy companies like Fidelity and Citibank are in this regard. I take full advantage of their sloppiness, but it's still surprising.

17. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is no transfer out or closing fee if you are an APEX customer (over $100K in assets in the account).

18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In my experience:
    TD is very straightforward, though a bit strict and slow.
    Fidelity is easy and quick. I met their requirements and miles posted soon. (I also maintained my account for six months before closing.)
    Citi is incompetent, a hassle, slow to post miles and a pain to deal with.
    I'm so glad my Citibank and Citi Personal Wealth Management accounts are now closed. Now if only I can find a solution to the problem I am having with online account access for one of my cards, I will really be able to be at ease with them................

19. Melissa

Melissa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if TD does a hard credit pull when you open an account with them? I was unpleasantly surprised to have an ING inquiry on my report when I opened a checking acct last year....

20. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    no

21. MrHalliday
    Original Member

MrHalliday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have experience with the "once in a lifetime" limit?

I had an account maybe 6-7 years ago,
    I think they are pretty good with record-keeping,
    but that is a long time.
    Maybe I would get the 20K SPG ?

22. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    you have to keep it for 9 month. I am earning 3.75% in my rewards checking. basically you are spending $700 to buy 20K SPG points. there is tax for interests, but nothing is free.

schnitzel likes this.
  23. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you tell us where you get 3.75% on that size balance currently? I'll take one!

24. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are you getting 3.75%?!?!?!

25. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jaguar likes this.