OP Silver Upgrades

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bjdriscoll, Oct 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having bounced around between Gold and Plat for many years, I do not recall certain aspects of OnePass Silver status. A good friend of mine recently achieved such status and has some flights remaining this year and was wondering what his upgrade chances will be. Like myself, he's based out of MCO and has flights remaining this year to PHX via IAH and SEA via EWR. I've been pretty successful with upgrades on these legs as I travel them fairly often. But, as I said, I haven't been Silver in a long time. Does anyone have any present knowledge about his upgrade chances or any other info I can pass along?

Thanks for the help.

alohastephen likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Out of MCO chances are good. The transcon not so much. Like everything, however, YMMV.

3. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I told him but I just wanted to see if anyone here had any different thoughts. He'll probably end up using miles for the SEA trip to snag a seat up front.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    SEA-EWR is not likely to happen. But my girlfriend is Silver/Premier and gets upgrades occasionally when flying without me on UA or on separate PNRs on CO (I actually have never had to request a companion upgrade yet).

SEA-IAH is difficult but happens on weekends or odd hours. Non-hub travel is still the best bet. In fact, last night we flew back DEN-SEA and the last flight of the day is CO-operated. She got upgraded around the 24 h window after check-in, and there were enough open seats that I was able to move myself to the back of the cabin and sit with her.