Oops someone is already in my room

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ctporter, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I arrived fairly late one night to a town for a job the next day and all seemed normal until I went to put my room key in the door to my room. I could hear the voices in the room, like the TV being on! I had visions of opening the door to see some poor guy on the bed in his sleeping attire (or lack thereof) .....(taking a long time to figure out how to say what I thought the guy might be doing at 11:00PM in a hotel room with a movie/tv on) Should I open the door? (NO I decided) Should I knock? (umm.. previous visuals keep coming to mind, NO) so, I head back to the check in desk to say are you SURE this is my room, cause I think someone is watching TV in there! One of the reasons I was so hesitant to open the doors is that once when a friend came to visit as we entered the room assigned to her we found it really was occupied by some poor guy that was NOT happy that someone just entered their room! The clerk did check me into another room, but did check the room they originally had assigned to me to see what was going on, turns out someone left a radio alarm on, and it was the radio I heard. But, even to this day, I still have that imagined visual in my mind - LOL and I now actually listen carefully before opening the door to the room I am assigned.

DonV.Smith and uggboy like this.
  2. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is also a reason to make sure you use the door chain when you're in your room.

I have, by the way, twice been given rooms that were already occupied. In one case, a guy (fortunately dressed) was reading in a chair. In the other, there was just luggage there.

Listening is not reliable, since some hotels turn on the TV for you (usually to the hotel event channel). That annoys me for other reasons, but that's a different subject.

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed
    good for you, I wasn't as so hesitant last year when I checked in for a MR at a local hotel, the poor person I surprised in 'my' room was so shocked they couldn't say anything. I quickly closed the door and went down to the front desk where I was credited w/my night for free & some bonus points. Quite a nice evening actually:D

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been on both sides of this, but for me the closest call was when some British gentleman tried to break into my room with his key card when I was taking a bath. Fortunately I had dead-bolted the door. He was obviously very shocked when I asked him through the door what he was doing. In this case, the hotel had changed my room at check in but hadn't apparently changed it in the system from the room that was preassigned to me. When he went down to the desk, they phoned me to ask who I was. I got a handwritten apology with chocolate-covered strawberries and a half-bottle of dessert wine with my turndown service.

canucklehead, DonV.Smith and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad this never happened to us so far, but some people have tried to come into our room instead!;)

East_Yorker and DonV.Smith like this.
  6. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the double tree NY had a cathay pacific flight attended walk in on me. Should have asked her out, she was cute. The GM apologized and I got some points for compensation.

7. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cannot stress that enough to my non experienced traveling friends. Always put the dead bolt on!

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely RIGHT! ;)

sdcarver, East_Yorker and DonV.Smith like this.
  9. Sarah P.
    Original Member

Sarah P. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Every time I check into a hotel room I hope to find someone there -- as long as it is Dovster.

(The closest I ever got was discovering Cholula in my room. Fortunately, it turned out to be Cholula the sauce, not Cholula the man. Of course, Dovster would have been a lot hotter than either of them.)

10. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had this happen at a hotel, though do always chain and bolt the door...

However, on one occasion I was off to work with a client in Oslo (I'm typically in the USA), and was setup with a corporate apartment. It was mid-evening or so when I got arrived and there was a nearby cafe where I was to pick up my key card. No problem getting it, or into the complex and room.

The issue is when I got there the room was a bit of a mess. Clothes everywhere. Nobody inside/ etc. I was pretty tired, didn't know what to do - I didn't have a # to call at this point, nor a working phone (yet)... So I sat in a chair, turned on the TV and hung out for quite a while. Part of me didn't think much of as I know many of times folks sub-lease apartments for corporate use... but they are usually pretty picked up when that happens too, so I was pretty leery to cleanup properly after a long flight, etc.

At some point, a British chap and his wife came back and were surprised to see me. They weren't ticked, violent, etc - towards me, at least. He called the building manager, who made it there within 30 minutes. While waiting, we enjoyed a beer and pretty friendly chat. The BM sorted things out... apparently he thought the room was supposed to be empty now (?!?!?) and moved me to a different room.

Fun times.

canucklehead, East_Yorker and Dovster like this.
  11. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    It happened to me twice: Once in Princeton NJ, at the then-Marriott Forrestal Village (which is now a Westin IIRC). A combination of inexperienced clerks and flaky rooms software resulted in my being given TWO different already-occupied room. The manager then insisted that security check the next room., after which I was given my key - which did not work (a different inexperienced clerk who helped me apparently had not mastered the key machine). The GM put me in a suite, comped the bill and gave me a free night in the future.

The second was at the Bellagio in Vegas. I had booked a very inexpensive web special and was assigned a room in one of the back wings. I opened the door to find a man (fully-dressed, thank goodness) passed out on the bed, with a mostly-emptied fifth of Jim Beam on the nightstand. I went back to the desk and the clerk apologized profusely and put me in a stellar fountains-view room.

12. jkvidt
    Original Member

jkvidt Active Member

Status Points:
    This happened to me and a friend in London a few years back. After a long day of traveling we checked into our hotel and went up to the room. The TV was on, clothes were strewn about and someone was just turning on the shower! We quickly bolted out of there and asked the front desk for a different room. We got a good laugh from it, but I can only imagine what the poor person in the shower was thinking when they heard us barge into their room!

13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A half bottle? Did they first let the British Gentleman who had walked in on you drink the other half, or did the desk clerk drink it? :eek:

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I would have happily shared it with the Brit, but in the lobby, not my room. His voice sounded nice and it was a hotel that normally (except for me) gets impressive guests.

15. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had an experience like this in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Sound asleep in my hotel room at the Sunway and 3AM someone trying to get into my room. Unfortunately that day I had toured Tuol Sleng/S-21, as well as The Killing Fields and was having weird nightmares to begin with- so I awoke with quite a start. I used to live in Japan and still have some Japanese language so once I kind of settled down/woke up more I could hear suitcases and Japanese language in the hallway asking "I think this key doesn't work, we must be on the wrong floor" type discussion. Took an Ambien and fell back to sleep ;) OH! and yes I had the door bolted for SURE.

16. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had someone (another guest with a rollaway suitcase) walk in on me. They turned right around when they saw me in a towel (why does that happen?!? :D). Called downstairs to tell them I was not impressed that they did that.

The worst incident I had was in San Jose CR and involved me walking in on a couple going at it on the bed. Embarassing!!!!!!!
    The problem with this was that I had booked a week in the hotel room and I told the hotel I would not be there for days 4-6 (stupid me!) but was leaving my luggage there as I was going into the rainforest. Seems they thought they could rent the room out while I was gone (yeah, shady). They upgraded me to a suite for my last night at the hotel. They had to retrieve my bag, but I assume they waited for the guests to complete their act!

Jslo, DonV.Smith and East_Yorker like this.
  17. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'd think that it most modern hotels (electronic locks, computer res systems, etc.) that this would not happen.

I've walked in to occupied rooms a couple of times in 30 years of travelling, but only ever had someone try the door, which I always lock.

DonV.Smith and canucklehead like this.
  18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have had it happen a couple of times ... both I heard the TV on and people speaking so did not try to enter ... in both cases the front desk refused to believe me so they had to come up and check for themselves ... in both cases they knocked on the door to prove it to themselves ... and in both cases I received a sweet upgrade as a result of their actions ... :)

uggboy, DonV.Smith and canucklehead like this.
  19. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many years ago, I was assigned a hotel room in a large resort that was already occupied. No one was there when I entered, but their belongings were all over the room.

Went back down to the front desk and was assigned another room. This time, the room had not been made up - the bed was stripped, etc.

Back down to the front desk again (this was a large place, so it was quite a schlep) and they had no other rooms available. I had to wait until the second room was serviced. I never thought expecting a room to be empty and clean was too much to ask.

20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The nice thing nowadays is, while you're waiting for them to fix the problem you can make them very aware that you're tweeting and milepointing about their screwup. That should result in faster fixes and better compensation. :D

DonV.Smith likes this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you received some sort of compensation for their screw-ups?

DonV.Smith likes this.
  22. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple of years ago at the Hilton Hawaiian Village I was given a room that was occupied. Fortunately they had the privacy lock on so door wouldn't open. I trotted over to the front desk and was assigned another room.

With their coding my key card for the room that was already occupied - does that mean that the people already occupying the room will have a key that doesn't work the next time they try to use it? I would think so.

23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe you are correct - in one of the occurrences that I had - the front desk staff mentioned this to me in passing that the next time the current room occupant left the room he would not be able to get back in! Hope he was clothed! :D

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this was true for me, although the hotel kindly didn't tell me this, so that when I returned to my room late at night and the key card didn't work, it set off panic regarding whether my room had been changed or given to someone else in my absence. Not good! However, it's a reasonable security precaution.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  25. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    They offered us a drink in the bar while we waited, that was about it. It was a long time ago and I was not the experienced traveler that I am today - if it were to happen again, I don't think I'd be pacified by a cocktail.