Oops.....or not, er maybe.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by boondr, Jun 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    So my annual fee is due on my UA MP Select card, one of the pre-merger cards. In the past I have been able to secure retention bonuses on the card due to use which in addition to the annual 5000 mile bonus made the $95 fee negligible. However this year I may have spent a total of ~$1000 on it and suspected that the retention bonus may not be forthcoming this time.

So my plan was to apply the Hyatt GP card because I received a special offer for it with no first year fee plus the normal Platinum member benefits (2 nights and 2 Suite upgrades). I anticipated a recon call due to the last Chase app I had needing some adjustment of CL's (prior to this I had plenty of available credit with Chase and use less then $5k at any one time, so no big deal) I would do the recon call and do a closure of the UA card in order to secure approval for the Hyatt card.

The oops comes from an instant approval and a $25k CL. I will never figure Chase out. Still deciding if I am going to just cancel the UA card our essentially "buy" the 5000 miles and retention bonus for $95.

travelpye likes this.
  2. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't have a huge amount of spend on the Select card last year, and they offered me 2 lounge passes. I took it because I have yet to bit the bullet on the OD HI Cards -> Home Depot route and the 2x miles at Home Improvement seemed useful.

The other thing is, its a dead simple card. Like a give to my wife and tell her put everything on it kind of card.

The vast majority of day to day spend is bonused on this card.

Gas, Groceries, Restaurants, and Home Improvement are all 2x. Which really, is not something offered elsewhere.

I am doing some experiments this week that might make the Groceries more lucrative as well.

travelpye and boondr like this.
  3. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    You make some good points, I checked my spending and in between minimum spends I actually used this card a bunch >$5000 during the latter half of 2012. With the Hilton devaluation I should really be putting all my groceries on this.

I called Chase, they gave me the 2 lounge passes for suggesting a downgrade to a NAF version.

Not going to be traveling much this year but it's something maybe I use it as a gift.