Onward Travel Verification

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by thegrailer, Jun 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be flying a few one way trips through SE Asia in a couple of weeks and was wondering what folks use to show onward travel. For example, what is the Vietnamese immigration officer going to want to see to show that I will be leaving the country on BR after a few days in SGN? A copy of the ticket receipt? What?

Thanks

Cheers

anileze likes this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not asked anything as proof at SGN airport. Neither at land border crossing into Cambodia. I guess an Eticket should suffice.

3. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been asked for anything either.

4. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually, I get the request as part of a visa application (pre-travel). When I do, I just print up the e-mail confirmation and send it along with all the other stuff they want...which mainly just serve to show you're a wealthy Westerner who won't be looking for local work or (somehow) get stranded.

5. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. A few neurons are firing about something I've read but can't remember where - something about not being able to show that you are actually going to leave the country after being admitted and the problems that ensued. [i.e., not the proper flight docs or something (?)] Also not specific to SGN, that was just one of the places I'll be going through.

Cheers

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just bring copies of all my itineraries, especially since I tend to like booking in on one reservation and out on another.

7. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The trickiness can come when you are going to cross borders by land. Having a ticket home from a couple of countries away raises a few eyebrows sometimes. Proving you have enough money to leave (often by showing a credit card) can be helpful.

8. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP back with an update. I had a hell of a time convincing even the folks on the first leg of the trip that I wasn't staying at my destination. Was flying EVA on an OJ award. I had to provide proof prior to boarding of transportation out of country 1 to country 2 to meet up with the connection OJ leg. Same for the one way out of country 1. My advice is to be prepared. I wasn't getting on those flights without proof of onward travel.

Cheers

9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

Strange. What was the actual routing ? I have never been asked at any passport control/immigrations. Your problem seems to be with check-in agent for an airline ? I have heard stories of checkin agents trying to upsell before issuing a BP; in the UK no less :(

10. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IAD-YYZ on UA. No problem
    YYZ-TPE-MNL-Stop: EVA was not letting me on the plane unless I could show that I was leaving the Philippines. I needed to show them a copy of my e-ticket for onward travel. And they wanted a paper copy. The receipt on my phone was no good.
    MNL-SGN-Stop: Same thing again. Philippines Airlines wasn't letting me go to SGN unless I could show that I was leaving Vietnam.
    SGN-TPE-Stop and TPE-YYZ-IAD No problem

anileze likes this.
  11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, Got it !

It is the airline(or airlines) acting extra-judiciously.

I'd write a polite, but firm letter to the Office of their CEO (or office of the Chairman of the Board) and asking for a fair compensation for the embarrassment and stress caused by the airline checkin staff. I did ICN-SGN on KE last year. At ICN, the KE counter lass did not even check if I had a visa for VN, let alone an onwards ticket. I took a bus from SGN-REP.

VS did this on their LHR-DEL route in the past (the argument being, that if denied entry, they do not want to carry you back for free)

Oh Well !!