Ongoing: DL SM providing false information about SM partners

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Sep 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one of the things that - when I actually flew DL more - used to be the worst. I experienced SM agents telling me that, no SQ is not a partner (back when it was, and when it was so stated on the DL website), then: "No AM is not a partner," "Sir you can't redeem SkyMiles on AZ." And a number of others. I posted about these at the time and it has definitely worsened since 2009.

It would have been comical, except of course it made SM far more worthless than simply imposing high SM requirements on DL metal. It's even worse than the 635k SM demands from PHL to FCO, not all of which was in J.

However, it's not done. I see that the practice continues unabated, and that other people find it equally frustrating/annoying/disreputable.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles/1505596-please-help-award-hawaii.html

I know DL apologists like to say "oh they just need more training" "you got a bad rep" "HUCA," etc. - literally, making excuses for the falsehoods. But, at what point do the scale and frequency of these deficiencies point to systemic management problems?

Now, there is a solution that would catch Jeff's attention.

This involves a collective effort to log each interaction of this type in a large spreadsheet with full call details (time, agent number, request made, statement regarding partner non-availability) and then sending the data sheet to DoT accompanied by a request for action under the deceptive advertising ruling. Five or ten times, they might not take so seriously...but when it reaches a thousand or more, independent customer interactions, well now, that would demonstrate a systematic lack of willingness/ability to deliver on published program benefits.

After all, if the DL website proudly states SM can be redeemed on AS, AF, AM whomever, and agents of that company repeatedly tell customers no se, no es posible, then it's not only mejor en su clase, it's deceptive.

2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have redeemed SM on the DL website without any human intervention. If there is a problem, why would one not invoke chat function when online ?:confused:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could. How successful you might be, is another matter. I'm not talking about making a domestic SM redemption for DL metal flights using the limited selection you can actually see on DL.COM's award tool and then calling in when the award tool chokes.

I'm taking about - for example - redeeming MEX or PTY to SCL on AM. SkyTeam partner, codeshares with DL on many sectors. I had an SM agent inform me that the itin wasn't redeemable, and on another occasion, that AM wasn't a partner. That's one example. The FT post I quoted gave another example. There are numerous others. The overall delivery of SM is abysmal and the excuses are farcical and mendacious.

I'm not talking about agents knowing the operation/timetabling/options of ST partners better than us, the lifetime-elite members of their program. Most often they don't. I'm talking about something as basic as being able to point them to their own company's website - where AM is listed as a partner and where it says, REDEEMABLE on AM and having the agent on the line acknowledge her own company's public policy instead of saying No, sir, you cannot redeem SM on AM.....:eek: Or AZ, or SU, or whomever.