oneworld or Star Alliance to Singapore from West Coast USA

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by tondoleo, Jan 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was unsure which forum to post this question. If it needs to be relocated please do so. Despite my increased level of knowledge from this board and the one whose name which shall not be mentioned I am still fuzzy on certain things. My partner and I are going to Singapore from the West coast of the US sometime in the Fall. My ticket will be an award. I have spent a lot of time reading about the various alliances and the plus and minuses of each airline. It left me a bit dizzy. I have sufficient mileage in Star and OW to cover the cost of an F ticket. Which would you suggest I try. I have never been on either CX or SQ or JAL. Yes, I admit it. I have never been to Asia.

I look forward to your collective help. Thank for your consideration of this question.

rwoman and kellio like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    An advantage of SQ, if you can get award space, is that they have a nonstop from LAX. Departing from SIN, you can use TPR and the FC check in lounge, both of which I think are special and impressive.

CX would connect through HKG, with great lounges there. You might be able to do a stopover.

One could endlessly debate whether SQ or CX is better. I would look at the aircraft types and schedules, although availability might well determine what your choices are. IMO JAL is just not as good, although ANA on *A is pretty impressive, as is Asiana through ICN if this is a legal routing to SIN.

rwoman, kellio and tondoleo like this.
  3. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you want to do a stopover?

rwoman and tondoleo like this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't SQ block F space for awards?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

harvson3 and tondoleo like this.
  5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. It depends on what business meetings that can be scheduled. Either HKG or NRT. Thanks for asking.

rwoman likes this.
  6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty much. They've been available in the past, but rarely. They do release biz space, but not F. Or at least I've never seen it.

If SQ F is important to the OP, he might consider hiring one of the consultants.

rwoman likes this.
  7. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want HKG stopover , I think it is best to target CX F. The experts can correct me, but I think it is easier to get CX F than SQ F.

rwoman likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What type of miles will you be using to secure your award if using oneworld? If using AA miles, a stop over could increase the number of miles required substantially.

Also keep in mind that not all flights from HKG-SIN on CX offer F.

rwoman likes this.
  9. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to fly NRT-SIN on 787, then JAL isn't a bad idea IF there're F seats available on JL061/062 from LAX to NRT.

rwoman likes this.
  10. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    CX in F is a wonderful experience and the award space is much easier to find than SQ - especially if you need two seats. From your signature it seems you are using AA miles which should be fine. Which miles are you using for *?

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Using AA miles is not fine if he plans on doing a stop over. AA program rules do not allow stop overs except the North American gateway city, so they'll need to redeem two awards or do a OW award with unlimited stops for a much higher amount of miles.

12. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You asked in an earlier post about the program miles to burn. I was thinking of using Avios if we go via OW. I am aware of the AA rule on stopovers. Thank you for mentioning that fact in this thread.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  13. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. AA does not allow stopover other than the NA gateway.

tondoleo likes this.
  14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could always mix OW and *A. Say, OW USA-HKG and SIN-USA, then *A HKG-SIN. UA does one-ways and both cities are in the same South Asia region.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

tondoleo likes this.
  15. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    One can however do pseudo stopovers in HKG (less than 24 hours) for example using CX885 and CX711. I believe it is also possible to include BKK in the mix.

tondoleo likes this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The key word there is "pseudo". Even the option you offer only realistically offers a half day of activity and supposes that availability is open on the desired flights. For example CX715 leaves at 8 PM, so if there's availability on that flight it's a viable connection from the LAX flight as opposed t overnighting. Still, if you can get the 23 hr 59 min option, HKG is a great place to do it. :)

Also all-partner award rules outline that awards must use the most direct routing possible. Might be difficult to force BKK into the mix.

kyunbit and tondoleo like this.
  17. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very true. But probably worth a shot because many of CX's HKG SIN flights have stops in BKK.

18. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP, you mentioned that you would use BA Avios if you go OW. What program would you be using for *A?

19. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO/UA or US Air.