oneworld MegaDO | Post your ideas here

Discussion in 'OWMD (oneworld MegaDO)' started by tommy777, Jul 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Greetings,

As you all probably know, myself and my crew have pulled of two very successful Star Alliance Mega DOs and sold out the third over two months before the event this September.

Well, many of you might not fly Star Alliance, many also belong to other alliances and fly other airlines. So I've gotten many questions. "when the heck are you going to do one of these for us AA flyers?"

For a long time, Pizza has been busting my hump about this (he's on the AA cool aid and busts my hump all the time anyways, I usually don't listen), but when my friend Maya Leibman asks me: "where's my mega DO???" I don't have any choice, do I?

So come this January, the FIRST annual One World Mega DO will take place!

What is a Mega DO?

It's an action filled couple of days where frequent travelers get to meet the programs they belong to, get very exclusive inside tours and do things not open to anyone.

Hundreds of you have asked if you could help. And now you can!

Please share your ideas what YOU think that we should do @ the OW Mega DO

Thank you!

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed you have no choice! I hope it will be after 15th January. If so I am in whatever it is.

1) We must have a deep view of DFW ops including the CW Smith and all that historical perspective.
    2) May we have a look at an OW view of planned 787 ops, maybe visit one of the airframers during a delivery? I know they won't arrive until 2014 for AA but BA and QF get them next year, if they aren't delayed.
    3) No OW trip is worthwhile without a visit to The Wing, IMHO.
    4) Based on Maya sponsorship we might be somewhat AA oriented, but that will be an interesting time for AA.
    5) Any chance of being Starwood or Hilton biased this time?

This will be exciting!

When will the ST megaDO? I need to plan ahead to make that one. Star came too late for me this year because I was already booked for early September.

Thanks for this one!!!:D Thanks to Maya too:D

3. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like another great time :). I'm guessing DFW would be the most interesting AA hub to do stuff around, but ORD is also a possibility. As far as partners BA/LHR would be nice to see their operations (plus another visit to Concorde Room is always nice), but I'm sure CX would be fascinating as well.

nime01, lili and jbcarioca like this.
  4. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yay!

I respectfully suggest you don't choose the Jan 13-20 which is the annual SIN Do followed by Bali this year.

5. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    A visit in LHR would be in order. Then we could see who the muppets at BAA are who think they are running the place.
    Afterwards BA could demonstrate that they can organise anything like LH at FRA.

6. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would definately like to see something at LHR, being the BA flyer I am. I would also suggest any date after the 20th.

7. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great news Tommy! I'm strongly considering changing from COUA to AA as my primary carrier beginning in 2012, so this could not be more timely.

The first SMD had aggressive EQM bonuses, as well as deeply discounted fares for the originating LH flight and charter. These really helped drive excitement and enthusiasm. I would love for the inaugural OWMD to offer similar bonuses and discounted charter fares.

I echo the ideas others have mentioned:
    DFW operational tours with AA
    LHR operational tours with BA
    Partner with Starwood hotels

nime01, DCtrAAveler, adl73x and 2 others like this.
  8. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those bonuses were what sent me, loyal AA EXP, on the path to 1K. This year I even got those orphan CO miles for the SMD1 Charter into my UA account!

nime01, adl73x and jbcarioca like this.
  9. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely agree about the Starwood sponsorship, with Hilton as a distant second preference.

Visits to Operations centers in Dallas and London seem like an obvious and interesting choice. I don't know how you could squeeze HKG into the event without making this a RTW DO ;)

787 assembly line? I know this has been done on a Star Mega DO before (and I'm quite sad not to have known about it)

Not as cool as the 787, but considering AA's new Airbus order - Toulouse? I know that BA are still looking at the A350 so they may be willing to show that off as well.

Flight simulators, whether at an airline or a manufacturer.

Considering the time of year, does AA have big enough operations in Miami for a visit to be interesting? Would be a more pleasant visit than Chicago.

nime01, Sagy, lili and 3 others like this.
  10. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    MIA receives a very enthusiastic thumbs up from me!!!

nime01, phsu, lili and 1 other person like this.
  11. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure QF will lend you an F lounge in SYD/MEL and maybe a tour or two, if you use your tommy777 charm...

asya999, drewbles, nime01 and 3 others like this.
  12. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would love LHR to feature, esp if HKG was included too. Gotta love CX hospitality!

asya999, nime01, lili and 1 other person like this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be interested in this as well. LHR and Waterworld would be very interesting.

nime01, lili and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have visited both Toulouse and Seattle. Either would be excellent but Toulouse has my slight preference. With a carter we needn't worry about teh lack of OW presence there, and I'd wager Airbus would be anxious to put on a big show for OW.

AA has an excellent flight raining center at DFW. I love simulators! I especially like being able to log the time!

MIA is certainly an entertaining AA base with so much international activity it is even better.

i have no idea how we can do it all, but I'll repeat a strong preference for HKG and SYD if at all possible. HMMM, how much would it cost to charter a QF A380?

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't have suggestions at this point but can I just say that it's about time! I'll be on this trip, no doubts.

Edited to Add: Strike that, I do have a suggestion. I'll be the first to go on record as saying I'd love to see something in NRT with JL.

nime01 and jbcarioca like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope there will be generous EQM so I can regain my newly lost EXP status, without which I feel naked!:eek:

nime01, phsu, Kaanapali and 1 other person like this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agreed. I'm only 1/2 way to EXP for next year and I'm not sure I'll make it. Tough year. :confused:

nime01, Kaanapali and jbcarioca like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    May they can reinstate TOP just for us?

19. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's an idea: see if Maya will grant EXP to all participants. :D Or even have an EXP buy up option for OWMD participants. I would soooooo do that! Maybe offer free PLT/EXP challenge to participants or the first, say, 50 who sign up

nime01, msv, Kaanapali and 2 others like this.
  20. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    That doesn't do much for their most valued customers: those of us who are already EXP :)

21. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought I'd posted earlier but apparently didn't hit the Post Reply button, something like:

Don't give us miles as they are a liability on the books,just extend everyone's current status for another year (well Feb 2014 would be better. Or lifetime!)

nime01, jbcarioca and milchap like this.
  22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is why reinstating TOP for just us might be a good idea. Only for people who are already EXP, have more than, say, 5mm miles now and those who want to buy up.

nime01, Kaanapali and adl73x like this.
  23. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be happy with that - BA Gold extended, that is. (Unless you want to relent on your EXP matching objection just a little to permit other OWE to be AA Exp Matched :) )

nime01 and Kaanapali like this.
  24. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So many trips go "horizontally" across the globe. How about a vertical one? Buenos Aires---London--Helsinki. Or complete the loop, Buenos Aires--London--Helsinki--Singapore. (Finnair now goes to Singapore).

LAN operations at EZE or AEP, with the best steak and malbec dinner in Buenos Aires.
    Overnight EZE-DFW and AA's operations in DFW.
    DFW-LHR and AA's operations at LHR, w/ dinner in London. Maybe invite Malev, Iberia to join in.
    Then, a couple of options:
    LHR-HEL, say hello to Finnair,
    then over the top of the globe to HKG or SIN.
    Or.....
    LHR-MAD with Iberia's operations at MAD.
    LHR-BUD-with Malev's operations in BUD.

25. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Start, tour AA DFW operations, fly AA - DFW/LHR, tour BA LHR operations, fly BA LHR/NRT or HKG, tour JL or CX operations, fly to SYD, tour QF operations, fly SYD/DFW, finish.

nime01, akghost, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.