oneworld MegaDo | Master Thread

Discussion in 'OWMD (oneworld MegaDO)' started by Randy Petersen, Sep 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    With lots of activities and lots of time before this massive MegaDo—this thread will capture the conversations.

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to more details

3. Status Traveller

Status Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I am unable to make the official launch party (I already had flights booked and will be at DFW that evening), I am also looking forward to hearing about the OW Mega Do details.

I cannot believe I will be planning two trips to the US in less than 4 months!
    The suspense is killing me :D

zpaul, Travelsavant and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Griz Shel
    Original Member

Griz Shel Silver Member

Status Points:
    For some reason I thought this was going to start the weekend of Jan. 20-22 and now it looks like that is not the case?
    So will there be no activities before Monday Jan. 23? When does it end?

In any case, it is that weekend that I have kept open, not Jan. 27-29 (already booked quite a while ago, would be costly to get out of). Anxiously waiting more details on the Megado activity dates.

5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    From all the information I've seen posted about this, I've always seen mention of the week of January 23rd. From what I know, there are currently no activities connected to this MegaDo before Monday, January 23rd.

6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the preliminary schedule.

Do the NYC activities commence in the morning (i.e. we need to arrive the night before or on a redeye?).

7. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you please ensure that London-based (indeed, Europe-based) MP'ers / FT'ers can just do the London BA stuff, please!

zpaul, rwoman, Travelsavant and 4 others like this.
  8. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    On past Star Mega Do's, the answer was "no," because you needed to be booked on the charter flight in order to participate in any of the Mega Do activities.

Travelsavant likes this.
  9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And they have emphasized that charter is required to do the European activities, however you are free to take a different flight to dfw than the one that has the premium cabins blocked.

Travelsavant and jbcarioca like this.
  10. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Any news on getting BA Tier Points instead of Status Miles?

Travelsavant, jbcarioca and Prospero like this.
  11. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like a great schedule of events. Any info on pricing yet?

12. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, for the North American portion......

Economy $800ish
    Tommy Class (no middle seat) $1100-1200ish
    First Class $1600-1700ish

Exact details are still being ironed out.

13. Hi, newbie here. How do you go about participating in this oneworld MegaDo? I am an AA EXP and would love to be part of this.

rwoman, Travelsavant and jbcarioca like this.
  14. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Robert, just stay tuned for an official announcement of when you can book tickets. Sounds like it should be coming relatively soon. You can also look to megado.com for updates on registration. All you need to do is purchase a ticket on the charter and join in the fun! If you are interested in the European portion of the trip, I'm not as sure how that part works. I think you book your own seats on that flight, but I am sure others know more than I about that. For the North American part, your ticket on the charter will get you access to the flights and all events. Eventually some links to book the hotels will likely come out as well.

15. Thank you for the info. Will keep an eye out for it!

cr34102, Travelsavant and jbcarioca like this.
  16. Griz Shel
    Original Member

Griz Shel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will it be possible to take only the DFW - Boeing segment and not the the LAX segment on Friday or must we sign up for both flights? (and to get the mileage bonuses)

17. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's my understanding from the launch and program as it's been posted thus far that it's a complete package - all or none (except for the international portion, which is optional). The charter will be priced DFW-BFI-LAX, and the pricing includes the associated events. Final details still pending of course, but no mention has been made thus far of only doing part of the charter.

18. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm keen on the Optional Program as well, with what I'm sure would be great events in New York and London.

I toying with the idea of actually getting myself over to joining up/starting in JFK, with the events already listed at JFK, then the flight over to London, then the BA event(s) in London, then the flight to DFW.

Sure, it's a bit crazy to go from here (London) to New York, just to come back to London again.....but, yeah, going somewhere just to turn around on a plane and go back...sure...no one on this site has EVER done anything like that before....

Sagy, Travelsavant, jbcarioca and 7 others like this.
  19. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hehe...it's not nearly as crazy as you think. :) Every year there have been some participants from Europe doing exactly what you're contemplating. Not to mention the regulars from NZ and Oz (just to name a few)...

20. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and if I'm reading the two programs (Optional, and Schedule) correctly, this isn't rocket science.
    I'd buy my own ticket LHR-NYC on Sunday, the 22nd, to be in NYC for Monday's events, and follow the Do from JFK-LHR-DFW-BFI-LAX. Then, I'd grab a ticket back to LHR from LAX the evening of the 28th (or, just book a r/t LHR-JFK, and add the LAX-JFK connection at the end). That's easy.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    You read it here first ... I'm thinking you don't want to miss the LA segment. You know these MegaDo's have wonderful surprises all along the way. And I don't know about you, but in my "I could have kicked myself" moments, it is usually with Dr. Martens—and that hurts.

Sagy, Travelsavant, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  22. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe there have been any events posted for NYC - only the departure at JFK. SMD3 had planned an event at the Andaz but it was scaled back to just a breakfast. But there is time to rethink this and have an informal event in NYC on Sunday - out of scope from the OWMD. It will be winter - so it may make sense for some to arrive at least a day early.

Sagy, Travelsavant and jbcarioca like this.
  23. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like something more substantial this time. The posted schedule over at megado.com reads:

24. edbyu

edbyu Active Member

Status Points:
    Here's my question - will we be able to pay for this with AA gift cards? I'd love to make a Costco run.

Wishful thinking on my part, but I had to ask!

25. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's how I read the Optional program as well. The depature flight to LHR in the evening. With something at JFK from Oneworld that day, perhaps at JFK. Even just a reception at the lounges and an MP "party flight" over to LHR would be quite fun, especially if the premium cabins on that flight are "blocked" for Do attendees!

jbcarioca and Travelsavant like this.